My babies seem hot?????ANYONE??????

xfilesnumber1fan

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
Missouri
I have 6, 3 week old baby mallards in my brooder....With a 250w red bulb..That only was on the back half of the brooder...But they still seem hot...They have their little mouths open like they are panting..So I move the light so now it only covering 1/4 of the cage..when can the light go off???
That pic was taken 1 week ago when they seem to like the heat..Now they dont act like that anymore...

PS..They are now twice the size they were!!!!

19025_022.jpg

Last edited:
Are they inside? They could have lost the light a week ago to be honest. Mine are 1 1/2 weeks and 2 1/2 weeks old, and haven't had any light for almost 2 weeks. This means that the youngest has never had anything but the room temperature and her week-older buddies to keep warm.

Quote:
I agree. Mine are 1 1/2 weeks and I am going to take their light away this weekend. There isn't enough room in there for them to get away from the heat. If they are in a cold room, you could try a 60 watt bulb.

If they are panting they are definitely too hot.
Inside I only use a 100 watt light bulb.
250 watt is way too big for your set up.
Try a 100 watt light bulb.
I think it will solve your problem.

You should have a therometer in the box so you know what the temp is. From my own experience, that light looks like it is too close to them and I would bet they are too warm. Especially if they are in your house. I have mine in the barn with a light and it is three feet away from them and it stays around 85 degrees, but they have plenty of room to get away from the light if needed.

Back
Top Bottom