My Baby Chick cant walk what do I do?

jaburke

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 2, 2011
Pocola, Ok
One of my Baby chicks cant walk. He eats and drinks but cant walk. It like his legs are week. He is one day old. How can I help him?

If his legs are way off to the side search here for what I think is called spraddle or splayed legs. Looks like a neat trick using band aids to make a brace.

As long as he is eating and drinking, give him some time to get his land legs..
smile.png

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Sometimes newly hatched chicks don't have all their motor controls working and it might take a day or two to get it together. I was worried about one of mine yesterday, which I kept turning over because it was always ending up on its back. Today, it is standing upright. I left it in the incubator to "finish" there, instead of introducing it to a brooder just yet, with all the extra room, stimulation, etc.

Yes.. I have had some babies not be able to walk for a while.. they just like to lay up under the heat lamp, or in the bator. By day 2 they have their way.. If you have any Poly-Vi-Sol WITH OUT iron, it wouldn't hurt to give it a drop or two.

Quote:
Same here except I didn't give the poly-vi-sol. I aspirated a day old chick once by doing it so I never will again unless absolutely necessary. They are just so tiny and so hard to get the drops in the right place - for me at least. I had three chicks from this last hatch not walk till the second day. It was scary and I was literally up every couple hours that night checking on them, but all of a sudden they were up and running and haven't stopped since. The first two I put hobbles on because they did have splayed legs. I was able to take them off within 6 hours - legs fixed. Be sure to check often since they grow fast and you don't want to just leave them on them for days.

Here is a photo of the one I made. I use the pad in the center as a guide as to far apart to keep the legs. It always works. This was a Serama chick so I used a smaller bandaid. For my other bantam chick, the next size up.

5385346116_5e6c2413e9_b.jpg

Good luck!

omgosh! Thankyou. I did it and it works. I dont have any vit. and we are in a blizzard now but I will get some as soon as I can. He didnt know what to think about be doing that to him or her.

WOW thanks guys. I haven't had this problem, but this is such a good thing to know about. I just hatched out my first chicks, and one took longer to get his land legs! Really made me nervous, but I figured that he had such a hard time getting out of his little egg, he must be worn out. Now he is up and running around, eating and drinking. YEAH!

Quote:
the good thing about doing it on ones this young is they really can't fight you! Lol I had to do this to a week old chick...wow, was it hard!

Back
Top Bottom