my cat is acting weird

I second the recommendation to have him neutered promptly. The spraying behavior is a big problem for indoor or indoor/outdoor cats and the enzymes in the urine do chemical damage to surfaces in addition to the smell being hard to irradiate. Enzymes from cat urine used to be used to enhance the scents of expensive perfumes, which is one of the reasons that many who are allergic to cats, also find themselves allergic to expensive perfumes.

Some male cats will continue to spray after being neutered, which is why many people choose to have them altered well before they reach sexual maturity. To be fair, my mother's most recent male rescue cat was neutered by the pound at three weeks (almost didn't survive), yet grew up to spray indoors after we got another female cat he felt intimidated by, so it's always a potential consequence of having a male cat in the house. His urine eroded the paint on walls and wood surfaces, indoors and out, and ruined the carpets in several rooms, since it tends to act like bleach. It turned spots orange and sank through to the padding under the carpet where deep cleaning couldn't remove it effectively. So the smell became a big problem. This behavior wasn't susceptible to correction, either, though we certainly tried. After awhile, it appeared defiant.

I loved that cat. He was an awesome pet for all of his eighteen years. But the spraying was a problem that was hard to ignore.

Wow that sounds so bad! And I though Beetlejuice was a problem when he had a UTI!

My mom had a cat named Shoebooty, who sprayed my mom's friend's,at the time, now husband of 30 years, shirt WHILE HE WAS WEARING IT!(he was working on a car so he was on the floor, easier aim) Needless to say the cat had balls, both literally and figuratively. He too lived a good life and when he finally passed he crawled under a neighbor's house(who had been setting out poisoned food for cats) He stunk up the whole house, the guy had to leave, the trailer had to be torn down. Great, mischievous little thing:lau

There is plenty of good advice on here already but I thought I’d add my two cents re damage control. Years ago I had a (neutered) bengal cat with a plethora of issues including spraying and urinating indoors. I tried so many things to eliminate the smell and found an enzymatic product called Anti Icky Poo (yep, not kidding) was the most effective treatment. It worked best when used before any other cleaners but it did work on older spots as well if I gave them an extended soaking. It’s not cheap but might be worth a shot. Even once neutered, the lingering scent of a sprayed spot can encourage kitty to “maintain” the mark. Good luck!

Yeah that's true:goodpost:, I suppose horny would have been a better word, but I wanted to keep it PG

Speaking of rabies, is the little guy vaccinated? Definitely recommend that, but maybe just because we almost religiously alter and vaccinate our cats and dogs. If it was rabies he would likely have motor issues(trouble walking), laying down a lot, maybe not eating and drinking. Maybe the classic drooling and aggression later but it's not usually as bad as the movies show. But that's only what I saw in the vet waiting room and in a few documentaries. I'm glad to see that you are concerned for your cats wellbeing, it's sweet of you:)
Yes he has been fully vaccinated and he’s strictly an indoor cat so he hasn’t seen much other animals other than our parrots peafowl and dogs and I take him to the vet every month for a checkup and he’s also upto date on booster shots

There is plenty of good advice on here already but I thought I’d add my two cents re damage control. Years ago I had a (neutered) bengal cat with a plethora of issues including spraying and urinating indoors. I tried so many things to eliminate the smell and found an enzymatic product called Anti Icky Poo (yep, not kidding) was the most effective treatment. It worked best when used before any other cleaners but it did work on older spots as well if I gave them an extended soaking. It’s not cheap but might be worth a shot. Even once neutered, the lingering scent of a sprayed spot can encourage kitty to “maintain” the mark. Good luck!
He doesn’t really spray inside only on the trees outside

@Chicken- that's kind of confusing... is your cat an indoor cat or - ? Trees don't normally grow in houses, how is he spraying trees if he is an indoor cat? :idunno I do not understand...

Good that you take him to the vet, but I can agree with the rest: having a cat spray indoors is a nightmare. Best to get him neutered as soon as possible, and then you'll have to hope he did not get into the habit in the meantime. Best of luck with him!

Glad he's fully vaccinated, you're saving him from a word of hurt. That's really fortunate he doesn't spray inside, it really can be a nightmare. I believe you said you had an appointment to get him neutered, hope it goes well!

Back
Top Bottom