My chicken almost died

jmendoza

In the Brooder
Oct 10, 2022
I almost lost my hen to an internal infection because the Natural and Organic remedies available to the public simply did not work against fighting off her disease. What you can buy at the feed store is pretty much snake oil in my experience which only costs you money, and delays the proper treatment of your hen's disease until you can get her to a vetrinarian who can prescribe the proper medications and stop the disease and suffering and/or death of your beloved feathered friends. Moreover, as most bacterial infections are highly contagious, if you mess around with "natural organic " cures your flock will probably get infected and most likely die before you can get them all to the vet and diagnosed properly for the correct medication.

It is sad that we can no longer get effective over the counter antibiotics for backyard chickens anymore, mainly due the abuse of these drugs by people not connected to back yard chickens. This is largely the result of food Nazis phobia of antibiotics in food. For commercially raised meat chickens, this may be valid, but it should not apply to backyard chickens as they are not typically raised for meat, just eggs. Furthermore, anybody who has had a sick hen knows they quit laying until they heal up, and that they typically will not lay for a month or so after recovering, so there is no issue with antibiotics in their eggs as the drugs are no longer in the chickens system after 30 days.

Anyone who has had to take their hen to an avian veterinarian knows it will cost about $100 for the visit, and the drugs are extra, about $35, and that is for one bird. There are no guarantees your hen will survive either, and if the disease is contagious, as most are, you can lose your entire flock. This means it is not practical for backyard chicken owners to follow the new protocols for obtaining proper and effective medications for their hens in the event of a serious life threatening disease infects one or all of their hens. This is simply legislation gone wrong and over reach when it comes to backyard chickens. Now they will mostly have to suffer and die, and possibly cause a widespread pandemic of avian/poultry diseases because most backyard chicken owners cannot afford to follow the new protocols set in place to regulate effect treatment of these poultry diseases.

The problem is that with so many backyard chicken owners, who once were able to get easy access to effective antibiotics for chickens at the local farm supply, but can't get them now, the most dangerous and deadly poultry diseases will run rampant and unchecked, and eventually spread everywhere. This will cause a pandemic for all foul, poultry, and birds, including rare and endangered species. The result will be a world wide " bird flu" pandemic just like what we experienced with Covid 19. Only this time it will not be a virus, it will be a super-bacteria. What would that do to the price of poultry at the store?

We need to work towards restoring access to effect and economical treatments of contagious and deadly poultry diseases for the millions of Back Yard poultry owners. It is the humane and responsible thing to do. In the meantime, unless your want to spend hundreds to maybe save your beloved hen/, if you don't want them to suffer of spread their disease to the rest of your flock, the only sane alternative is to put them down. To me those are not good alternatives, especially given that only a few years ago, we had access to the drugs and meds needed to control the spread of these diseases and reduce the associated suffering and deaths they cause. JMHO

Last edited:
True, but bacterial infections can spread just as rapidly and pose the same risks as viruses do. Antibiotics are sure fire treatment for control of infectious, contagious bacterial infections. Currently, backyard chicken owners have been denied access to effective over the counter antibacterial medications for chickens,
and this is not good for them, or their owners. When you lose your flock to such a disease, it will hit home.

Look for finmox (amoxicillin) and fish erythromycin which is just erythromycin. at least you then have a fighting chance. Google it. I got mine online, walmart (in the past) and I think Allivet. looks like they also call finmox, aqua mox now. used to be fishmox. hope that helps for some stuff. There are others. I just googled Tylan, you can also get that online it looks like. I'll have to get some if possible.

And, as a livestock owner, the threat of resistance is real. There are workers that are no longer effective for ruminants because of misuse. Similarly, there are illnesses in humans that are becoming resistant because lots of well-meaning folks misuse antibiotics by using them for viral infections or not finishing the prescribed course. The legislation is at least in part due to that. It is problematic to use antibiotics for anything other than bacteria, and some bacterial strains only respond to certain antibiotics. The average farmer doesn't have that knowledge. That is more frequently what leads to a super bacteria - bacteria becoming impervious to widely misused antibiotics. But I completely understand your frustration.

I take one of my birds to an avian vet. If it's ill, I treat the rest of my flock. Even if I have to spend $200 to find out what I'm dealing with and save my flock AND prevent resistance in my area, it's worth it. JMHO.

Last edited:
Antibiotics don't treat virus dear chicken friend.

Sorry your hen is having trouble. :hugs
If you read what she wrote*

The result will be a world wide " bird flu" pandemic just like what we experienced with Covid 19. Only this time it will not be a virus, it will be a super-bacteria. What would that do to the price of poultry at the store?.

She is well aware.

True, but bacterial infections can spread just as rapidly and pose the same risks as viruses do. Antibiotics are sure fire treatment for control of infectious, contagious bacterial infections. Currently, backyard chicken owners have been denied access to effective over the counter antibacterial medications for chickens,
and this is not good for them, or their owners. When you lose your flock to such a disease, it will hit home.
I find that metrazole works well. You can buy it for fish illnesses in the form of fishzole.

I almost lost my hen to an internal infection because the Natural and Organic remedies available to the public simply did not work against fighting off her disease. What you can buy at the feed store is pretty much snake oil in my experience which only costs you money, and delays the proper treatment of your hen's disease until you can get her to a vetrinarian who can prescribe the proper medications and stop the disease and suffering and/or death of your beloved feathered friends. Moreover, as most bacterial infections are highly contagious, if you mess around with "natural organic " cures your flock will probably get infected and most likely die before you can get them all to the vet and diagnosed properly for the correct medication.

It is sad that we can no longer get effective over the counter antibiotics for backyard chickens anymore, mainly due the abuse of these drugs by people not connected to back yard chickens. This is largely the result of food Nazis phobia of antibiotics in food. For commercially raised meat chickens, this may be valid, but it should not apply to backyard chickens as they are not typically raised for meat, just eggs. Furthermore, anybody who has had a sick hen knows they quit laying until they heal up, and that they typically will not lay for a month or so after recovering, so there is no issue with antibiotics in their eggs as the drugs are no longer in the chickens system after 30 days.

Anyone who has had to take their hen to an avian veterinarian knows it will cost about $100 for the visit, and the drugs are extra, about $35, and that is for one bird. There are no guarantees your hen will survive either, and if the disease is contagious, as most are, you can lose your entire flock. This means it is not practical for backyard chicken owners to follow the new protocols for obtaining proper and effective medications for their hens in the event of a serious life threatening disease infects one or all of their hens. This is simply legislation gone wrong and over reach when it comes to backyard chickens. Now they will mostly have to suffer and die, and possibly cause a widespread pandemic of avian/poultry diseases because most backyard chicken owners cannot afford to follow the new protocols set in place to regulate effect treatment of these poultry diseases.

The problem is that with so many backyard chicken owners, who once were able to get easy access to effective antibiotics for chickens at the local farm supply, but can't get them now, the most dangerous and deadly poultry diseases will run rampant and unchecked, and eventually spread everywhere. This will cause a pandemic for all foul, poultry, and birds, including rare and endangered species. The result will be a world wide " bird flu" pandemic just like what we experienced with Covid 19. Only this time it will not be a virus, it will be a super-bacteria. What would that do to the price of poultry at the store?

We need to work towards restoring access to effect and economical treatments of contagious and deadly poultry diseases for the millions of Back Yard poultry owners. It is the humane and responsible thing to do. In the meantime, unless your want to spend hundreds to maybe save your beloved hen/, if you don't want them to suffer of spread their disease to the rest of your flock, the only sane alternative is to put them down. To me those are not good alternatives, especially given that only a few years ago, we had access to the drugs and meds needed to control the spread of these diseases and reduce the associated suffering and deaths they cause. JMHO
This is an old thread, but highly misguided.

The old OTC flock dosing antibiotics are being pulled because people don't use caution or aren't educated in their use - or the consequences of misuse.

I happen to be one of those "Nazis" you refer to, and yes it is true, I don't want to eat eggs from hens treated with antibiotics, either directly after or ever.

Chickens can routinely show sings of sickness one day, then be perfectly fine the next. Because of the paranoia that we all experience when thinking about losing our entire flocks, it is common for folks to dose the whole flock unnecessarily. Overuse of antibiotics is EXACTLY how super strains develop. Moreover, super strains that can no longer be treated by by said antibiotics. Regardless of your stance in C19, you can see this currently happening in humans. The vaccines and masks have suppressed our natural immune systems, leading to all sorts of outbreaks of sicknesses in the last few years that we have never seen before.

I do agree however, that things like vet RX are snake oil, but highly disagree that treating animals with natural remedies that you can research and derive yourself, can be very effective if you are willing to put the effort in. Talk to an old generational farmer - they will blow you away with their remedies.

I whole heartedly believe that everyone should treat their flock how they see fit. However, we should all be cognizant of what we put into OUR bodies. Desiring to sustain ourselves with natural, additive and chemical free foods is nothing to look down upon.

Back
Top Bottom