my chickens have gape worm - help please

I certainly hope that Lady was able to help her chickens.

I love and respect my chickens very much and lately decided to take preventative measures against a potential gape infection.

I want to preface this by saying that our family lives in Central Texas where we are presently experiencing a record drought. We have had triple digit heat for the majority of the summer.

Recently some of our chickens began doing what looked like yawning or wretching. My birds are free range and sometimes forage near my wild bird bath and feeder so it is conceivable that this as well as the remains of some snails on my property could have infected them with gape. I first noticed Marmalade - a New Hampshire Production Red Rooster - doing this. I then noticed this behavior in Gertrude one of my Ameraucana hens. All of my birds have been panting given the triple digit heat. I mention this to illustrate that the wretching was noticeably different from the panting.
After consulting Damerow's Chicken Health Handbook I decided it was possible that my chickens could have contracted Gape. we attempted to look down their throats but found no evidence of gape worms there. I discussed my concern with my local feedstore owner who suggested it was more likely the heat that was causing my chickens to act in this way.
But as a gape and roundworm preventative she recommended I use safe-guard (fenbendazole) Equine Dewormer - 25 Gram paste 10%. She told me that this product was the most reliable way of dealing with gape. She suggested I administer small portions of the paste wrapped in bread to my birds for 2-3 days followed by taking milk soaked white bread and feeding it to the flock after that time as a flush.

Last edited:
Ivermectin won't get the gape worms. You must use something like Valbazen (1/2 ml for the average sized bird). Repeat in 7-10 days.

We are in Texas and I noticed that I have two hens out of six who have the symptoms of Gape worm, I tried ivermec twice (horse wormer in water) and they are still the same. So now I guess I will try Safe Guard. I read on here that a lady used Ivermec horse wormer in their water and it worked, well it did not work for me...I have tons of horse wormer so tried it.

Safeguard ( fenbendazole ), will kill gapeworm. Give a pea size amount on a piece of bread to each chicken. Dose her every 10th day after the initial dosing, probably 2-4 more times. Gapeworm are hard to get rid of. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Research more about gape worm too. I believe the ground around the chickens can be contaminated for a few years, but I would have to do more research to be certain.

OK, further research indicates that the chicken coughs up the eggs that the female worm laid in the trachea. Then the bird swallows the eggs and poops them out. Other chickens and ground dwelling animals (esp. earthworms) consume the eggs and the soil/ground continues to be infectious for the next ~3 years due to the earthworms passing things along.

Good luck!

Last edited:
We have only used this ground as cow/horse pasture for the last 10 years, we finally built our dream home and put up a large fenced area and coop for chickens, we have had them for about 6 months now and noticed two have gape worms. We feed twice a day and they also forge their own pasture during the day...it is very clean, as I clean their coop every morning and wash all their feed and water containers.

If you google gape worm, you can click on a couple of YouTube videos of chickens with gape worm. It's sad to watch, but it helps to know what the behavior looks like.

I just used Ivomec Injectable (ivermectin) on bread and fed it to my 6 New Hampshire Reds. I'm new at all this so I was scared I'd kill them all but it went fine and we can start eating the eggs again today. One of the girls died from the worms and it was awful to see. It started when I was out of town and my granddaughter did know the weird brhavior was not normal. I had not benn home more than 3 hours when she died. Luckily the other girls are OK. Thanks for all your help and advice. I'm trying to find someone else that lives in Independence, MO to chat with. Anyone out there?

Back
Top Bottom