my chickens keep getting eaten!

CelticGoose

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 14, 2014
So i started with about 15 hens and one rooster, now i am down to 6 hens. granted this is over the course of 4 months, but i have never owned chickens before and am just starting. but it seems like something is eating them every other week!! first a wild dog came through and took or scared off two hens, then the neighbors cat picked off two (when they were free ranging), and then last night something broke into the coop and killed 4 hens and my rooster. all the ones that have been killed i raised from chicks, all the ones that are still alive were between 4 week-16 weeks when i got them. i am just devestated. i know they are only chickens but i have really invested alot of time in them. now i want to give up. anybody else ever felt this way?

Chickens are practically defenseless, against just about everything. It's up to you, to provide them with a safe place to live. I lost a bunch to the fox around here. So I know exactly how you feel. The answer for me was electrified poultry net. I have my coop surrounded by 650' of it. The chickens get to come out and roam around a pretty big safe area, and I don't have to worry about them. I haven't lost any birds going on 3yrs now. Check out the link below, that's what I used.

http://www.premier1supplies.com/fencing.php?mode=detail&fence_id=93

Thank you so much!! What a great idea! We are moving and I have alot more space at the new farm were going to, and that would help with the chickens and the ducks. Thanks for the suggestion JackE!

I had a fox try to get one of my hens this year too while they were free ranging.

Read up on critter proofing your run and coop.
Enlarge the run and don't let them free range unsupervised. Just remember even though your watching can't stop a hungry critter. You will have to take action and be prepared for an immediate solution. Running at a critter across the yard and waving your arms usually won't stop them once they are committed to attacking.
Eliminate known chicken eating critters.

My solution was to build a bigger run and when they are outside I am as well with a firearm on me. I can't reach across the yard and swat a coyote away from my chickens but smith can.

Back
Top Bottom