My chickens quit laying

cindy65

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 10, 2009
Tacoma Washington
My chickens began laying eggs about 4 weeks ago. My RIR lays everyday reliably and my aracauna and silkie were laying at least every other day. My rooster moved out about two weeks ago and now I haven't gotten one single green egg since. I don't know if it's because it's colder now or because there is no boy. Any ideas??

They should still continue to lay, even without a rooster. Do you have artificial light in the coop? If you don't, that may be the reason why they're not laying.

My chickens have stopped laying and I think it is because they are molting. I have been told to just be patient. Janie

Quote:
Breed and feed are both as important as light. I have no artificial light and about only 10 hrs good daylight, yet am getting 20 a day from 24 pullets and one of those is a runt with a pink comb at 7 months. My feed is nothing special at 16% protein.

You might try Calf-manna to supplement your feed. It is high-protein stuff and good for helping them regrow feathers during molt.
wink.png
Good for kick-starting them after molt too. If you are seeing lots of feathers, you may have one that is molting . That will tank egg production until feathers regrow.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom