My chicks are dying!!

Jayla908

Hatching
Mar 19, 2024
My family got 10 buff orpington's from rural king, we do the same stuff we've done to care for them for 15 years but this year they're falling off one by one. Just last night one was standing with her eyes closed and was pushing her head up and forward a little and open and closing her mouth, she was dead this morning. The others we are unsure what happened over night but with her we are down to five... We're not sure what's happening! I'm thinking it might be the food since that's the only thing that changed but I couldn't find anything bad about it, its natureserve chick starter. Any help on what's happening would be great.

START HATCHING YOUR OWN!!!!!!!!!!! hoover's hatchery has been having problems like that recently, it may be a vitamin issue. are they throwing their heads back at odd angles?

My family got 10 buff orpington's from rural king, we do the same stuff we've done to care for them for 15 years but this year they're falling off one by one. Just last night one was standing with her eyes closed and was pushing her head up and forward a little and open and closing her mouth, she was dead this morning. The others we are unsure what happened over night but with her we are down to five... We're not sure what's happening! I'm thinking it might be the food since that's the only thing that changed but I couldn't find anything bad about it, its natureserve chick starter. Any help on what's happening would be great.
Can you post some photos of your set up? I know you said you've been doing this for 15 years, but sometimes another set of eyes can help. @aart and @Wyorp Rock and many other very experienced and knowledgeable chicken tenders here.

Do you have a thermometer in you brooder that is reading 95 and a space for them to escape heat? I've never used Nature's Reserve but know it's a pretty big brand. But I cannot speak to that.

What kind of bedding are you using and do you have chick grit down in case they eat it?

Also make sure your bulb doesn't have a Teflon coating if you are using a new bulb in a heat lamp.

Also, you don't mention where you are. It's quite cold some places and the birds could have suffered shipping stress. If you have some Sav-a-Chick on hand, you could try giving them that. We always keep it on hand and add it to our chicks water. And make sure your water is warm - not cold.

Last edited:
START HATCHING YOUR OWN!!!!!!!!!!! hoover's hatchery has been having problems like that recently, it may be a vitamin issue. are they throwing their heads back at odd angles?
No thier not throwing thier heads back, other than the one last night the others were acting normal and the next day they're dead. I feel like hatching would be a good idea but I'm only a teenager and my mom refuses to do from scratch, shes saying if the ones who are left make it that's great but she says she's not doing chicks again..

hmmmmm....................... I don't know then, but I'm not buying from hoover's again after what happened two months ago. I got six Plymouth Barred Rock from Rural King, and 2/3 died.

No thier not throwing thier heads back, other than the one last night the others were acting normal and the next day they're dead. I feel like hatching would be a good idea but I'm only a teenager and my mom refuses to do from scratch, shes saying if the ones who are left make it that's great but she says she's not doing chicks again..
If you don’t have any vitamin powder go outside and get some dandelions then put them in a coffee filter and make some dandelion tea it will be full of vitamins and you can also crush up some vitamin b12 in their water but just a little

Can you post some photos of your set up? I know you said you've been doing this for 15 years, but sometimes another set of eyes can help. @aart and @Wyorp Rock and many other very experienced and knowledgeable chicken tenders here.

Do you have a thermometer in you brooder that is reading 95 and a space for them to escape heat? I've never used Nature's Reserve but know it's a pretty big brand. But I cannot speak to that.

What kind of bedding are you using and do you have chick grit down in case they eat it?

Also make sure your bulb doesn't have a Teflon coating if you are using a new bulb in a heat lamp.
Yes the temp in thier container is about 95, we are using shavings to hold in a little more heat, I want to find out if it has teflon but I'm only a kid and my mom refuses to let me check because she doesn't think that's an issue. She just want these ones to either make it or die and she says she won't get more

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmmmm....................... I don't know then, but I'm not buying from hoover's again after what happened two months ago. I got six Plymouth Barred Rock from Rural King, and 2/3 died.
Yeah that's what's been happening to us :(
My mom is refusing to change or help them anymore because so many have died

If you don’t have any vitamin powder go outside and get some dandelions then put them in a coffee filter and make some dandelion tea it will be full of vitamins and you can also crush up some vitamin b12 in their water but just a little
We are giving them vitamin/electrolyte water, would the vitamins been in there?

Yes the temp in thier container is about 95, we are using shavings to hold in a little more heat, I want to find out if it has teflon but I'm only a kid and my mom refuses to let me check because she doesn't think that's an issue. She just want these ones to either make it or die and she says she won't get more
How much room do they have to get away from the heat? You said your family has been doing this 15 years? So you've been doing this since you were really young.

Can you post some pics of the set up?

Back
Top Bottom