My chicks have Diarrhea?

Diarrhea in chicks can be caused by a number of things. You have not mentioned the age of your chicks, if they get treats (and if so, what). Coccidia is possible on medicated feed, but not as likely. It could be dietary (too much fruit), stress related or infectious. Remember that in a normal bird every 10th or so stool is cecal and can be brownish, liquid and stink. Make sure they are kept in a clean environment, with fresh feed and water. Check their vents often to confirm they don't have stool obstructing the vent. Monitor their food intake, discontinue fruit if you are giving any for the moment. Make sure that they are in age appropriate temperature environment. Some recommend things such as yogurt (or other probiotic such as Probios) and apple cider vinegar in the water (1 TBS =15ml per gallon of water). If the diarrhea continues you can take a fresh sample to your veterinarian for a fecal microscopic exam. Coccidia is usually easy to diagnose in a fresh, diarrhea sample.

I want 2 put oatmeal in their feed (grinded up). I heard it helps diarrhea in chicks. Any thoughts?

Ok I just bought my first chicks last Friday 4/18/2014 and last night one of my chicks started having diarrhea its runny and brown. I and feeding dumor chick starter and adding a antibiotic powder to the water that they gave me at TSC. I have not been giving any treats nor grit yet.

But I also wanted to know why not oystershell grit?

Whats the best treats for them? Can I bath them ? Whats the best food, treats ect...? And any other very important info anyone may feel will help me out, these are our first little chicks and I so want these little guys to live.

Ok I just bought my first chicks last Friday 4/18/2014 and last night one of my chicks started having diarrhea its runny and brown. I and feeding dumor chick starter and adding a antibiotic powder to the water that they gave me at TSC. I have not been giving any treats nor grit yet.

But I also wanted to know why not oystershell grit?

Whats the best treats for them? Can I bath them ? Whats the best food, treats ect...? And any other very important info anyone may feel will help me out, these are our first little chicks and I so want these little guys to live.
Chicks do occasionally pass cecal poops which are runny, brown and stinky! Why are you giving them antibiotic's? Antibiotic's kill all the good bacteria in their gut and can cause runny poop as well. If they aren't sick they don't need antibiotic's. Now PRObiotic's would be a good idea.

Oyster shell is not grit, it is a source of calcium for laying hens. Young chicks do not need additional calcium. You can however offer chick grit.

No I would not bathe them unless they have pasty butt, poop stuck to their butt. Even then just run a small stream of warm water over the area until you can get the stuck on poop off, don't wet the whole chick. That is a good way to get them chilled.

At this age just feed them any good chick starter, that is what they should be eating the most of rather then treats. They grow really fast at this age and they need that balanced nutrition. Mashed hard boiled egg is good for them as well. Just make sure to offer chick grit once you feed anything besides their starter.

One bit of advice I would offer is to get some Corid and keep it on hand. Also learn all about coccidiosis and it's earliest symptoms so you are familiar with it and know how and when to treat when and if it occurs in your chicks. It's extremely common so it's good info to know.

Sorry to jump on this thread but I cannot seem to start a new thread!
I have a Lakenvelder that is approx 4 weeks old. I took her from a local shop that was having problems with some chicks pecking the day lights out of other chicks. I actually took her and a Minorca who was also in bad shape. The lakenvelder has hardish twisted poop with some blood in it. The Minorca has had super watery poop with blood. I started them both on sulfadimethoxine and the Minorca is finally getting some substance to her poop. The lakenvelder sounds like she has mild asthma and no change in her poops. I got excited when I saw her have a thick Cecal poo, but then noticed she likes to eat it! Ugh! I am on day 3 of the sulfadimethoxine and plan to do a molasses water cleanse on them just to make sure there isn't any strange blockages. Any other thoughts? The good news is they're feathers are coming in!

maybe it was probiotics I don't know its a yellow powder you add to water, the lady at TSC is the one who gave me some and said to add one TSP per gallon of water. Thank you for all your help and I will look that up, if there is anything thing else you can suggest any websites that are helpful please let me know and Thank you again .

I have 6 new baby's from TSC 4 White Rocks and 1 Black Sumatra and 1 Buff Silkie. My Black Sumatra has had brownish red diarrhea for the whole 8 weeks I`ve had her. The others have solid gray poo. Why is it different

My 8 week old silkie cross, started having diarrhea and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong? I have 3 standard 4 month old chickens and a blue silkie who is also 8 weeks, the big ones are blocked off from the two little ones in the same run and coop. They all eat Dumor chicken starter grower and the babies get electrolyte & vitamins in their water. I also gave them a few mealworms treats today, but that is not why she has diarrhea . Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom