My chicks have Diarrhea?

Had a chick with bloody poo. It's no longer with the group. All the other chicks (5 weeks old)seem fine no bloody poo, eating and drinking well. I do have some chicks with dark, smelly diarrhea. Wondering if they have cocci? They been on medicated feed since day one and I've given them chick grit for the last week and half. I've noticed after the grit some are developing diarrhea. Should I stop with the grit? Is it hurting their intestines since they are only eating medicated food? My vet gave me some tetracycline to put in the water. He couldn't tell by my sample if they had cocci.

Had a chick with bloody poo. It's no longer with the group. All the other chicks (5 weeks old)seem fine no bloody poo, eating and drinking well. I do have some chicks with dark, smelly diarrhea. Wondering if they have cocci? They been on medicated feed since day one and I've given them chick grit for the last week and half. I've noticed after the grit some are developing diarrhea. Should I stop with the grit? Is it hurting their intestines since they are only eating medicated food? My vet gave me some tetracycline to put in the water. He couldn't tell by my sample if they had cocci.

The grit is not hurting them and they don't need antibiotic's, they need Corid and as soon as you can possibly get it. Either the 20% powder or the liquid, makes no difference but get it and get them started on it or your going to start loosing them. Chicks can and do come down with coccidiosis when on medicated food, I've had it happen to me.

Dose for the powder is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 to 7 days, make it up fresh every day. Dose for liquid is, I believe, 9.5 ml per gallon of water, and again, make it fresh every day so the strength of the medication does not decline.

I have 5 chicks, 4 are about 6 weeks and 1 about 4 weeks. The RIR has had diarrhea pretty much the entire 3 weeks I've had them. The BR & Dom seems to be doing fine and the other 2 come and go. Occasionally one has almost a liquid poo. I've not given anything but chick starter and clean water. They have gone out and scratched and eaten what seems to me is dirt. But they all stay together and eat the same thing. Not sure why the difference...
hu.gif

Should I keep giving them the tetracycline until I get the Corid? It's on order and won't be here until April 2-5. I called everywhere and no one had it, so I had to order.

Two questions: 1. Should I keep giving the tetracycline until I get Corid? I ordered some since I couldn't find any at several feed stores and Rural King. It should be in April 2-5.
2. Is it possible the chicken with the bloody poo had severe pasty butt, which caused the bleeding?

Two questions:1. Should I keep giving them the tetracycline until I get the Corid? I checked all the feed stores in the area and Rural King and couldn't find any. It should be on April 2-5.
2. Is it possible that the chick with the bloody poo had severe pastry butt , that I didn't notice until it was too late, which caused the bleeding?

I have been giving my 2 chicks medicated feed & one is having diarrhea. I heard that giving them garlic can help, but is it possible that they have cocci? They seem to be eating & drinking, but I did notice shivering. No blood in poo.

Back
Top Bottom