My City vs. My Chickens

Kierstinthomas

Hatching
Apr 3, 2023
Hello, I am in the process of getting my town to allow us to raise chickens. I am curious though, for those of you who have gone to your city council and fought them to keep your chickens; what was required? What were the arguments made on either side of the argument and what do you wish you would have done differently or better to possibly had a better outcome? Honestly any kind of information would be greatly appreciated. Kindly - a chicken lover.

I and about four other individuals petitioned our city council regarding chickens about ten years ago, and prevailed. The first thing we did was garner as much research on the benefits of permitting chickens on residential lots, and as much sound information for dispelling myths about keeping chickens. We focused on the fact that there were current codes in place to regulate noise and odor (for other pets/animals) that would be applicable to chickens. Ultimately, after a number of us spoke at a meeting, the vote was called for incorporating chickens into the municipal codes. The vote passed!

Every city or town has different forums for presenting information. Ours requires a speaker to attend a meeting and fill out a request to speak - pretty simple. The internet is full of good information, as is this site, supporting keeping chickens.
1) eggs
2) compost
3) ability to show for FFA/Ag (school-aged kids)
4) weed control
In residential areas, if chicken pens and coops are kept scooped and clean, there are no more issues with odor than any other animals. In fact, outdoor cats pose more of a health risk via parasites/illness (toxoplasmosis) due to their ability to roam onto other properties. Proper food and water storage also eliminates rodent incentives (just as with outdoor dogs). Hens do make a bit of noise from time to time, but no more than barking dogs. (We actually found a decibel study regarding animal noise to support.)

Good luck!!

What size lot's are you fighting for? Size does matter. I fought for my horse on a half acre. I was able to get a University white paper showing that even if my horse stood over a well and pee'd constantly for one year, no contamination would happen in the water. Studies like this really help. It was funny but impressive and I won. Chickens are so much easier if you talk about lot size vs. number of birds, being specific ensures they know you're not asking for an extreme situation. You have to be honest about how it really is not a good thing to decimate 1 small lot with too many farm animals. Last chapter in my story is that it was better for me and better for my animals to move to country so I did. No more more battling with neighbors, ahhhhhhh. ☮️

Hello, I am in the process of getting my town to allow us to raise chickens. I am curious though, for those of you who have gone to your city council and fought them to keep your chickens; what was required? What were the arguments made on either side of the argument and what do you wish you would have done differently or better to possibly had a better outcome? Honestly any kind of information would be greatly appreciated. Kindly - a chicken lover.
I am trying to do the same thing in my small town! It's hard to get anyone on the town board to take interest or add it to the biweekly agenda for discussion. Let me know if you have any luck where you live.

I and about four other individuals petitioned our city council regarding chickens about ten years ago, and prevailed. The first thing we did was garner as much research on the benefits of permitting chickens on residential lots, and as much sound information for dispelling myths about keeping chickens. We focused on the fact that there were current codes in place to regulate noise and odor (for other pets/animals) that would be applicable to chickens. Ultimately, after a number of us spoke at a meeting, the vote was called for incorporating chickens into the municipal codes. The vote passed!

Every city or town has different forums for presenting information. Ours requires a speaker to attend a meeting and fill out a request to speak - pretty simple. The internet is full of good information, as is this site, supporting keeping chickens.
1) eggs
2) compost
3) ability to show for FFA/Ag (school-aged kids)
4) weed control
In residential areas, if chicken pens and coops are kept scooped and clean, there are no more issues with odor than any other animals. In fact, outdoor cats pose more of a health risk via parasites/illness (toxoplasmosis) due to their ability to roam onto other properties. Proper food and water storage also eliminates rodent incentives (just as with outdoor dogs). Hens do make a bit of noise from time to time, but no more than barking dogs. (We actually found a decibel study regarding animal noise to support.)

Good luck!!
Awesome job!

Two more benefits I would add, would be bug control (I won over one of my neighbors who hates creepy crawlies and ticks), and reduction of food waste from the town. I know compost is on your list, but environmentally to have less waste in the town dump is a great benefit to the area and you might get support from environmentally conscious non-chicken owners with that piece.

If your lots are small, you may want to come in with a limit of 4 or 6 hens per lot, and add that they would need to be fenced in, if you think those regulations would help your argument. I personally don’t love limits myself, but if the yards are super small it might be important to add some type of clause. Good luck!

Last edited:
Awesome job!

Two more benefits I would add, would be big control (I won over one of my neighbors who hates creepy crawlies and ticks), and reduction of food waste from the town. I know compost is on your list, but environmentally to have less waste in the town dump is a great benefit to the area and you might get support from environmentally conscious non-chicken owners with that piece.

If your lots are small, you may want to come in with a limit of 4 or 6 hens per lot, and add that they would need to be fenced in, if you think those regulations would help your argument. I personally don’t love limits myself, but if the yards are super small it might be important to add some type of clause. Good luck!
The point about decreasing waste may also appeal to whatever entity (city, county, citizens, etc) who pays for waste management.

Back
Top Bottom