My Crop Tube Feeding Journey With My Bird (Pics For Visuals- VERY detailed Post)

Oh....the maggots I saw inside her were 2 days after her injury, not recently. i re-read it and it seems confusing with typos. i'm sorry. I'm typing on my phone with spell check.

The hole that you insert the tube into ,is it the one that opens and closes at the back of the throat . I really can't work out where to insert the tube! I am terrified of getting it wrong.

I only know it on ducks but have been told it is even easier on chickens to see. It is NOT the center hole. The correct hole on a duck is far right from the ducks perspective. When you are facing them it is to your far left. You can feel and see the tube go down the side of the neck. I'm pretty sure it is the same on chickens but please double check that first.

Thank you for clarifying that for me . I thought the large whole in the middle was the trachea, and couldn't see the other,going into the crop. I have had a look based on what you have said and I have found it, it's very small but I see it ,thank you. I just did not want to put my girl in any danger .

I only know it on ducks but have been told it is even easier on chickens to see. It is NOT the center hole. The correct hole on a duck is far right from the ducks perspective. When you are facing them it is to your far left. You can feel and see the tube go down the side of the neck. I'm pretty sure it is the same on chickens but please double check that first.
Correct on all counts.

-Kathy

This hole goes to their lungs. - Never put anything in there!

See where the syringe is pointed? That is where the tube is inserted. From there it needs to go all the way into the crop.

Peacock images are courtesy of Craig Hopkins, http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/peafowl.htm

-Kathy
How big of a catheter should I use on a 9 month bourbon red hen?
She has not been eating or drinking for 2 days...How much food and water?

How big of a catheter should I use on a 9 month bourbon red hen?
She has not been eating or drinking for 2 days...How much food and water?
I use an 18 for water, and a 30 for saturated crumbles. What sizes do you have? How much does she weigh? What does her poop look like?

Last edited:
I use an 19 for water, and a 30 for saturated crumbles. What sizes do you have? How much does she weigh? What does her poop look like?

Her poop is clear with small solids pieces. I do not have any tubes. I will need to buy them finding them locally is proving to be difficult she weighs 11.1 lbs and is 9 months old

Her poop is clear with small solids pieces. I do not have any tubes. I will need to buy them finding them locally is proving to be difficult she weighs 11.1 lbs and is 9 months old
I got her to eat a small amount of pellets mashed with water and a little wet scrambled egg. but not enough to fill her crop

Back
Top Bottom