My dad thinks it's a brain tumor...

I did the hot towel compress for about 20 minutes, not much is coming out though. I gave her some dried mealworms but she didn't eat them. She tried but she kept missing with her beak.
I can see her eyes now so the swelling is going away. She is still making sniffly noises though. She's doing what she normally does, which is staring at her feet, blinking, and falling asleep.

Quote:
Keep doing the hot compresses Mia. If there is anything to draw out, you'll need to do it often. As soon as the compress begins to cool, rewarm it. You're doing a good job. ❤ Keep cuddling her too. If you haven't made her scrambled eggs, maybe you could try that and add the meal worms before you cook them up. That way she'll get both the protein and also her treat.
wink.png

Good luck to you, Mia. You are doing everything humanly possible for your bird! If you are bold enough, what I would do is the hot soak for a while, then, using blunt tweezers, open the drainage hole and see if you can remove some of the goop inside. Remember, chicken pus is more like very thick, dry, cottage cheese chunks. I wouldn't probe really deeply, but it's worth a try to see if you can remove some more of the gunk.

It looks like you are doing a great job at trying to rehab her.

I am hoping she pulls through for you, she really seems to be a fighter. Keep up the good work.

You are doing a great job with her!! Keep up the great work!!
thumbsup.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
clap.gif

I also used to be a vet tech and many abcesses have a black core to them. Also, I am new to chickens but in my experience with other animals (small and large) their skin heals quickly and you may need to reopen the incision you originally made to allow for more draining. If you have a one cc/ml syringe you could fill it with room temperature or luke warm sterile saline and insert the tip of the syringe into the incision then flush. Doing this will possibly break some of the left over pus or infected tissue away from the inside of the wound and allow it to drain out. Flush then gently press on the skin to drain. You could do this a couple of times so you do not end up with a recurrence. Good luck to you and your precious little lady!!
hugs.gif

You are doing a great job and I am rooting for your hen to pull through! I also had a pullet named Sugar! I might have missed this but are you also giving an antibiotic? Black tissue doesn't necessarily mean a tumor so don't give up hope for her. It could also indicate necrotic tissue from the infection!!! Keep doing what you are doing! You are doing a great job!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom