My dad thinks it's a brain tumor...

Quote:
Yes, this! Good advice!! I hope she's doing okay still. Keep us updated - lots of people are sending healing wishes her way!
hugs.gif

Quote:
If it were a brain tumour it wouldn't be hanging off her head like that, you wouldn't even be able to see it. Creatures die from brain tumours because they cause too much pressure inside of the skull as they grow, this one is outside the skull and therefore not a brain tumour.

Maybe find the email address of a avian vet in your state and email them the photos, explaining that your too far away to visit. Also tell them you tried lancing it etc and send picks of that too. They might be able to advise some medication or treatment that you can ask your local vet to order in for you.

Actually, I am a nurse too... and when I saw the picture of the black spot I though 'eschar'. this is a definition from wikipedia An eschar from the Greek word eschara (scab) ) is a slough[1] or piece of dead tissue that is cast off from the surface of the skin, particularly after a burn injury, but also seen in gangrene, ulcer, fungal infections, necrotizing spider bite wounds, and exposure to cutaneous anthrax and other infections. I have taken care of many, many wounds with eschars on them. With what you said came out when you lanced it I would bet my license on it being a bad infection. In which case you did the right thing. I would give a broad spectrum antibiotic. As far as lancing it with no anesthetic... obvious it didn't bother her too much. For turtle nurse... did you know that orthodox Jewish families circumcise their sons on the 8th day with out ansethesia? They dip a 4x4 in wine and let the baby suck on it and it is done in 2 seconds... sheesh a little rough there weren't ya?!? Keep doing what you are doing... If the infection remains localized and does not go systemic she may do ok... if you hadn't of opened it my guess is the infection would have gone into her brain and nervous system... that would have been real bad. Sugar is a lucky Chicken to have you to take care of her
hugs.gif

Yes I am giving her antibiotics. It's a hot day so I took her inside, I'm sharing the computer chair with her at the moment. She's sleeping again. She's been itching at her face alot.. Does that have something to do with the swelling?
We're gonna do some more towel compresses soon. How odd, she just fell asleep again..Her head is down but she's up.

And thank you everyone for your help and support.

Quote:
Yes, please let us know how this poor chicken is doing. What a brave and caring owner she has!

I think this OP is doing an awesome job!!!!!!!!

Her scratching at her face is more than likely due to the swelling. It can be very irritating when there is swelling and can cause an itching and burning feeling. With most antibiotics you will see a marked difference in 36-48 hours, give or take, depending on the severity of the infection. Give her goodnight hugs from us here!!
hugs.gif

When I went to the feedstore they gave me tylan soluble.. I don't think it's the right antibiotic but they said it was for respritory problems. I'm a pinch in her water but she hasn't been drinking much. I'll have to go again when I have a chance.

Back
Top Bottom