My daughter is devastated!

kees

Crowing
15 Years
Feb 5, 2008
At night our Silkies go into their coop. They've been doing this for a year. We came back at 9 pm after going fishing. I used a zip tie, twice around as always. Cut it this morning and only two hens came out. Found the body of one splash Silkie on the ground less than one foot away. Not a marking could be seen on it and it's body was soft. The black rooster was on the soil and it's body was going through rigor mortis. The black hen was gone. I'm thinking that a red fox, possum or cat could have gotten one, but why would two be left with absolutely no markings on them? We have a four foot chain link fence and there was no sign of digging. Fresh water is put out daily. Looked in the grass for the dead black hen but didn't find her. My daughter was hysterical, she's 5 year old, and kept asking me what would happen if someone came to kill her. Please help!
barnie.gif

Well, whatever it was will be back and I'm so sorry especially that your daughter is terrorized. I'm thinking raccoon or weasel, actually. Check up around the eaves and all the places anything the size of a hot dog could slip in...

You'll need to figure this out before getting more birds, and the thing will be back tonight.

Last edited:
I am so sorry!!! Your poor little girl, what a tramatic thing to experience and to think of horrible things like that. (((HUGS)))

My friend just lost all her silkies to a fox and they keep coming back once they know where to get a meal. She shot hers and now things are good again for a while. YOu will either have to kill it or tighten up the coop REALLY good! No small openings at all!~ Your poor baby! I feel so bad for her! I hope she doesn't have all sorts of bad dreams now
sad.png
Good luck and hope you can get your predator!

could they just have beat themselves against the door trying to get in? The not leaving a mark makes me think it wasn't an attack but maybe fear.

You need to explain to her chickens are part of the food chain, nothing is coming to kill her.

My son is 8 and my daughter just turned 5, they know and understand some chickens give us eggs, some are to eat, just this morning I seperated two nasty hens from the flock and when Lexi saw them she asked when we are gonna eat them, she knows whats happening and understands thats the way it it.

It saves a lot of heartache.

Why would the predator kill and take one animal and leave the other two untouched? I checked the yes, neck, throat and had very carefully along the vent, ick and found nothing. It kind of freaks me out. Sounds a little weird, but could a cat have done it? The people across the street have one but I've never seen it come on my property. If it was a hawk, why take one and kill two?
barnie.gif

chain link isnt very predator proof. Weasel slide right through them. I lost a hen that way and watch the weasel go right through the chain link after it got my hen. I shut my chickens away at night because they are in a chain link pen with a top and wire bottom.

Sorry your daughter is so sad.

I felt so helpless when my daughter said after breakfast, "I feel like I'm going to throw up." "Why did you let them die?"
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom