My daughter is devastated!

Some predators, especially weasels and raccoons, spread out the kill over several days. Have you found the breach? getting over the run is nothing for either of them, but what about your coop eaves/vents/floors? As night approaches the survivors will be getting frantic.

Last edited:
Hello Kees - So sorry for your loss, and for your poor little girl being so scared.

i'm a little confused, were the dead chickens outside the coop? Did they get locked out of the coop but inside your fenced area? Or were they pulled out of your coop somehow?

i am no predator expert. But i wonder if you posted pictures of your coop and run, if the people here who are experts might give you some good advice on shoring it up to prevent further breaches.

Hope you catch the critter that did this.

I spoke to the breeder who sold me the birds and has in excess of twenty-years breeding Silkies and she said that it was unlikely a weasel since I live over one mile from the water. She didn't rule it out as a possibility though as she's seen them easily get through chain link fencing.

In all probability she thinks it migh have been a red fox or a raccoon. She stated that once the predator went for the first bird, it wouldn't take much for Silkies to die of heart attacks. (Who would have known?)

He asked me about the security of my coop and was satisfied that no predator could have gotten inside once the birds were locked in for the night.

I do feel bad that I wasn't there to save them from whatever terrified them. However, she said that this has happened to her and she will email me pictures of some pictures of pet and show quality Silkies along with some Frizzles.

I think the Frizzles look weird but in a funky kind of way, like that movie when Helen Hunt was chasing a storm and a cow flew by.

Thanks for your support and I'll try to find out what's within my budget (lol) to help my daughter stop crying. Now I can also explain to her what probably happened.:thun

Yes..a weasel can get right through the chain link. I am having deja vu!

Didnt you say he was outside the coop in the morning?? It was hard to tell?

Edit to add: I am pretty sure a weasel can be around even if you live away from water....

Last edited:
One black hen was missing and a splash hen was dead as well as a black rooster.

At this time of year the racoons and foxes both will have weaned their young, be teaching them where to find food and how to hunt. So, you're could be dealing with more than one critter at a time. I've seen a whole family of five racoons hunting together where I live. It was a mom and 4 young ones. Luckily, I had my big rottie dog at the time and momma coon gave my house a wide berth.

Last edited:
Perhaps you could keep your remaining chickens in some kind of container in your garage or on your porch each night? At least until you can shore up your coop or find your predator. Then you won't wake up to any more nasty surprises.

I'm sorry your little girl is taking it so hard. It's a harsh reality all of us who care for chickens must embrace: we're not the only ones who love our chickens. There are far too many other animals, diseases, & circumstances ready to take advantage of our vulnerable birds.

My children & I have had to learn to enjoy each day we have with our special feathered friends, to give them the best of care & protection, and to learn from our mistakes when we have losses.

Unfortunately I don't have a garage but they are on a porch in a very secure pen. What I feel bad about is that I wasn't there to protect them when this was happening.

I am sorry for your loss. I had a weasel attack my flock last fall. I went into the coop in the morning to find total devistation, all but 3 of my birds were dead. (most had very little noticeable damage) I keep my chickens in a converted horse stall which has 4 foot high plywood walls, with chicken wire from the plywood to the rafters. The weasel was unable to get the bodies out of that area due to the 4 foot plywood wall. I discovered it was a weasel when I removed the bodies to the isle outside of the stall, the weasel came out of hideing & started retriving & hideing the bodies. (I put a abrupt STOP to that with my pellett gun!) My flock has 2 outside runs & 4 inside stalls (all connected) I still check & double check EVERY night to make sure everyone is inside & closed up at night when I pull the doors shut. (I don't even trust my hubby to close up, I want to see for myself) & with all my security, a weasel still got in.

I am sorry your daughter is so upset. Kids bounce pretty good - just reassure her she is ok. she will get beyond this.

Back
Top Bottom