My daughter is devastated!

Hate to contridict but weasel and mink will travel up to 5 miles to find food when they are feeding young.
They do not stay near water all the time. though water is a perk.
hmm.png

Don't worry about contradicting! The more that I learn on this board the better of a caretaker that I can be for both my chickens and my daughter. Still feeling pangs of guilt that I wasn't there to hear any of the chickens screaming for help. Not a weasel lover at this point.

After reading this post it sure sounds like a weasel to me too. They
selectively kill and are surgical about it, so I've been told.

I'm more concerned with your daughter. At 5 she should be sad but you
need to make her understand this is nature. I would suggest watching
some National Geographic specials with her and explain the food chain
in terms she can understand. This would be a good start. Try to explain
whatever did this is only doing it for food and is not evil.

Our kids are so screwed up from watching Disney movies that when they
are faced with real life, or in this case real nature/death, they tend to
get angry, scared, sad, or even anxious. Be careful not to coddle her too
much. Kids understand a lot more than we give them credit for most of
the time.

Best wishes.

There was probably nothing to hear as the attack took place, one bite through the neck at the base of the skull and it was done. The two surviving hens probably slept through the entire ordeal. A smaller predator such as a mink or weasel knows that to overpower prey they must catch them off guard, on the roost asleep most likely. Remember that they are excellent climbers and will fit through a space as small as a quarter. Look up as well as down while tightening up the coop and even try to lift roof panels and whatnot to make sure that access is denied.

Kees - Please don't feel guilty. i'm sure even the most experienced chicken owner here has lost birds to predators. We just do our best and hope for the best.

You've suffered a terrible loss. Allow yourself some time to grieve. Would it be possible to have a small funeral for your chickens, for you and your daughter's sake? Maybe have your daughter write a letter to God, telling him about how special those chickens were, and asking he take care of them in chicken heaven?

Closure is so important - to honor the ones who have passed over and give comfort to those still here. Otherwise we just end up spinning in our heads, trying to fix something that has already happened (that's me talking to me there - i have lost pets and gone over and over it in my head, thinking things would be different if i made other choices).

Anyhow, very sorry for your loss. :aww

Colleen

Ugh...I didn't even think of looking for a small bite through the base of the neck. My only concern was getting my daughter to her father on time for the dropoff for the visitation. He's not very nice (and that's putting it mildly). I wish that I could show her something on National Geographic but we don't have Cablevision or even a landline phone due to economic reasons. However, I can search the net for something that might be age appropriate.

Not sure about the funeral thing because I threw the bodies in the garbage after putting them in plastic bags so she wouldn't find them as she was eating her breakfast and rushing.

Last night, during her pick up, I was saddened to hear her say that there was no God, but maybe Santa Claus could make them come alive again.

And I thought that weasels only came in the human form...

Kees, as a single Dad, I agree, weasels do come in human form, however we may argue the gender due to our personal experience.

Thats not the point, Bash the dad somewhere else, if you knew what I went thru with 2 incubators, I bet you'd be happy he sees her and you get a break. Oh and I bet you get some child support also,, must be nice .Your baby girl needs to know what life is like with livestock, my daughter is the same age as yours and says,,, aww the cute chickies daddy..... When can we eat them? My son, at 8, helps process.

My kids make indian headdresses from feathers off the birds we eat, not ask God or Santa for more,,, they know TSC and Meyers have bunches and daddy will buy more. Parental guidance will avoid heartache.

I am sorry for you.. this is sad. My husband and I have been arguing tons about how secure I want to make the coop and pen.. He says I read too much and am being ridiculous! PULEEASE!!!

He wont read these sad posts either. I think he wants them eaten
sad.png
the big meanie.

Quote:
Whoa, settle down brother. Kees is just venting and has some deep frustrations,
as you obviously do too. I'm a man, a father, and come from a long line of divorces,
just not divorced myself. You sound like a few of my divorced, single father friends.
I can't say I understand you or Kees but I do sympathize.

Kees needs to start at step 1 and hopefully get to the point where her daughter
starts to undertand the big picture. Maybe your kids are already there and that
is a blessing.

I will say that if what she says is totally true, and the girl got home from spending
a few days with her dad, and spews out "There is no God" then someone is
poisoning this poor child's mind.

Back
Top Bottom