My duck broke her foot

niferis

In the Brooder
May 17, 2016
Ill try to make a long story short. One of my ducks broke her foot and it took me a few days to get into town to get a brace on her. I had alot of trouble figuring out how to brace it but finally came across an idea of cutting out a piece of Styrofoam to the shape of her foot and taping her foot down to it. So thats what ive done. Ive tried a few methods of making her comfortable withwith her feet elevated from the ground but today she wouldnt stop flapping aout until i pulled everything out so she could just sit on her feet. How long do i need to keep her away from my pond and other duck. How long do i have to keep her foot wrapped because she cant really manuver in this legwrap. How do i know if shes in pain and is there something i can give her to ease pain or at least spoil her while shes hurt. Do i need to vhange yhe tape on this if shes gotten it wet or no cuz shes a duck? I just am learning as i go with these babes and maybe i shouldnt have gotten them but they are mine now and im trying my best to take care of them! (-:

Welcome to BYC!! Ducks are amazing animals. It wasn't that long ago, one of the first threads that I commented on and followed intently was the amazing way ducks deal with pain, injuries and discomfort in general. This past winter we had a young duck get frost bite on her feet. Even though she's got fewer toes than she did and little to no webbing left, she gets along just fine. She does wobble a bit when she walks, but without looking you'd never know. We did keep her separate until her feet healed; by keeping her quiet and comfortable in a small dog kennel in the house. She got to play in the bath at least once every other day and for the most part we kept her in an enclosure that limited her ability to move around. At times it seemed cruel, but she's healed and out with the other kids playing duck games. I noticed a different duck that had a broken bone in it's middle toe and it healed crooked. She gets along good too. If yours really favors it or seems like it is bothering her, then try to find a place where she can't move around a lot and keep her fed and watered. I'd be careful with the tape that holds the splint on so as not to cut off circulation. Good luck and let us know if there's more information we can provide.

Ideally there would be a good duck vet to help. We don't always have that option, I understand.

There is a poultry podiatry page on poultrypedia that may help.

I agree - watch the circulation.

Hennible's vet said advil was okay to give to ducks (though I saw one person said they did not think so . . . ), you need to know the weight of the duck. Here are my notes -

For ducks 6-8 lbs 25-40mg twice daily adult tablets cut up or children's liquid Advil 1.5ml twice daily, orally.

Amiga’s arithmetic – 8 pounds 40 mg is 5 mg per pound
6 pounds 25 mg, is just over 4 mg per pound

so, 4 to 5 mg per pound of duck

end of note.

A poultice of comfrey might help speed the healing. Or maybe comfrey salve or T-Relief.

The vets in town wont see her without payment at the time of visit and im so broke. I went to costal and the lady and i couldnt find any of those things so i bought her sugar free childrens advil. I was worried about her circulation so i unwrapped her foot to check it out and her foot instantly cripples back up, i think i had it taped loose enough, i hope.. so im waiting for my sister to get here to help me rebrace it.
Any tips on getting her to drink the advil? I put it in a syringe but still seemed to hav missed most

I wish i voupd just take her to the vet ),: i feel so bad for her and i just dont know what to do

Is it bumblefoot or brokn i guess ill never know it wont let me upload a photo

Last edited:
If you put the photo on via the website instead of the app it works. I have an iPhone and it freezes the app if I try to post a pic. Hope her foot gets better I'm no help with that

Back
Top Bottom