my duck is sitting on nest help

So did the ducklings follow him to the water and then drown instead of staying under the hen? I have never had drakes harm ducklings but perhaps it is a hatchery hybrid? We have problems with crows killing ducklings and even a rat one time but not with the drakes.
I just had to let you know what happen, my husband took the wire out that had our male separated from my duck and her ducklings. We sat and watched him attack mom and grab a duckling by the neck and carry it to the pool and throw it in. I just can't believe he wants to kill the babys... taking him out of the pin today.

Darn! His job is to protect them but he is clearly not a good father. I have not had drakes attack ducklings before.

We have found ducklings on top the chicken coop and other high places the crows like to hang out and I once watched a crow swoop out of our rabbit pen and carry a bunny to the roof of our house. They have been our worst predators.

Darn! His job is to protect them but he is clearly not a good father. I have not had drakes attack ducklings before.

We have found ducklings on top the chicken coop and other high places the crows like to hang out and I once watched a crow swoop out of our rabbit pen and carry a bunny to the roof of our house. They have been our worst predators.
I know I can't believe it he's been so protective of her since she started sitting. I thought he was gonna do good with them.
But I was so wrong..

So sorry for your losses!!

Cheep cheep is darling though... don't be too hard on yourself, either... sometimes these kinds of things happen...

Cheep cheep is darling though... don't be too hard on yourself, either... sometimes these kinds of things happen...
thanks she has 4 little cuties. Do you think he would ever be ok with the little ones? He loves mom so much. They have been together since they can remember and you can tell it's really hard on them not being together. . (Really wish I could do more). I'm trying to keep him really close to her but separate so he can't kill the babies but you can tell he still wants to hurt them..

I got this how would I go about mixing it?
the babies out with mom visiting dad threw a fence.

Mix the brewers yeast at a tblespn per cup of feed... if their space is not big enough, then go ahead and move them... she'll have more issues later jf she is crowded...

As for the drake, I just dunno... may take quite a while before he can be around them and not separated...

OK THANK YOU VERY MUCH, RIGHT NOW SHE IS CROWED ONLY BECAUSE OF THE DRAKE WE JUST PUT A SEPERATER IN THEYRE CAGE SO HE COULDNT GET TO THEM. BUT WE GOT THE BIG PIN DONE LAST NIGHT. I REALLY JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE SHES HAPPY.
barnie.gif
SHES DOING A GREAT JOB BUT HATES BEING SO CONFINED. DO YOU THINK THEY WILL BE OK WITHOUT EACH OTHER,HES ALWAYS BEEN THERE WITH HER?

If she doesn't like the smaller space then it's much better to move her before she really gets upset and the ducklings get accidentally hurt... she should be fine, I think keeping her babies safe will make her happier... I've separated drakes from mine when they had babies just to be safe before and they didn't like it, but it worked out for the best... and she will be happier knowing her babies are safe...

Back
Top Bottom