Canadian Wind

Duck Crazy Canuck
Premium Feather Member
Jul 25, 2022
Eastern Ontario
My Coop
My Coop
:rant

Picture this. Duckling that I hatched myself, so had since pre-birth (lol). Grew up with three 'siblings', so it was easy to compare as they matured. This duckling started quacking at the same time, if not a bit earlier, as two of the others. And I mean QUACK. Nice and loud! Great, female, I think. But a few weeks later, the duck stopped quacking and started squeaking. I thought it odd, but maybe she had quacked herself raw. You all know how loud they can be.

Well, a few days ago I noticed something. A very noticeable something. I dismissed it as moulting, but now there's no doubt. She grew a drake feather on her tail. And now, 'she' has begun to rasp. :th

There must be something in the water...
I had one do the same thing this summer! In fact, I think you may have commented when I posted a video of the quacking that I indeed had a girl. No such luck! I have to make a choice among my three drakes too. My breeder will take them back though.

haha how does that old cartoon theme song go? "Transformers, more than meets the eye..."

Haha but wow. I wonder if there is sex neurtrality for some time during early phases of development for duckies?

Well... Hopes you didn't mind what it was, other than in good voice :)

I had one do the same thing this summer! In fact, I think you may have commented when I posted a video of the quacking that I indeed had a girl. No such luck! I have to make a choice among my three drakes too. My breeder will take them back though.

Back
Top Bottom