My Duck Was Worth 11 Cents - Now She's Worth Several Hundred Dollars

I believe he said they were in the proventriculus. The whole thing was such a blur, diagrams, xrays, talk of risky surgery.... but he did a second xray to confirm the location and I recall him saying proventriculus.

I thought the head crest was a male thing too, but Q has laid eggs, so she's definitely a girl. (or a very talented boy?)
lol.png

Quackmire yes your vet was awesome! I have a regular vet who is exceedingly cheap, he does none of the bells and whistles that other vets do, like keeping animals night before or night after surgeries unless theres some complication and its necissary, and he's the most cheapest vet I've ever heard of and he takes into account incomes on top of that when he does major surgeries and does payment plans.

I thought I was going to have to put down my daughter's dog because she (and this will sound a little incredible) climbed a tree and i come outside to see this dog jump out of the tree and howl in pain, she shattered her leg and the local vet quoted me 3000$ (after 300$ for X-rays, pain meds, and initial exams) to put in pins and plates oh or "JUST 1500$" to amputate the leg, meds, and 2 day stay afterwards!!!!! Friend told me about him when i called them crying that I couldn't afford that kind of money cause my hours had recently been cut from work, and I just couldnt afford that kind of money and no vets I knew of did payment plans except 1/4 (so that would still be 400$ + a month I didn't have) but I called Dr. Will and he quoted me 1000$ to save the leg with a payment plan of 100$ a month...wound up though he only charged me 850$ + 20$ each of the 4 returns/check ups afterwards. i paid her bill in 4 months and it was very best 930$ i'd ever spent cause that dog is my daughter's heart (my daughter is 5) and best friend.

Thank God we have some wonderfu vets in this world.
smile.png

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear your duckie pulled through! My girls all do the crest thing to, so I guess it isn't a male thing. I can't believe how far gone that penny is, geeze! Glad you were able to get treatment!
smile.png

Quote:
Your vet sounds wonderful! I've only been to this office one other time, with a leopard gecko that had a hemipenial prolapse. They did his operation for $75. I don't care how simple a surgery is, it's an exotics call, and it was still cheaper than what most vets charge to spay a female cat. I never went back to them mostly because they are a 45 minute drive and I have plenty of local cat/dog/farm vets around here. But I found out pretty quick that even the several FARM vets in my town wouldn't touch a duck.
hmm.png
I'm a firm believer in having a regular vet, and a backup vet just in case. Boy was I surprised when I called both and neither would help me.
sad.png

Glad your daughters puppers is ok. I gotta ask, what kind of dog climbs a tree? JRT? lol

I'm glad to hear your duckie pulled through! My girls all do the crest thing to, so I guess it isn't a male thing. I can't believe how far gone that penny is, geeze! Glad you were able to get treatment!

Well then, glad my girl isn't just a wierdo! lol (she's wierd in plenty of other ways though....i assure you)
lol.png

It's called Hardware disease, ducks love eating metal objuects, it kills a lot of them.

I can never remember the name for it. In parrots its heavy metal toxicity, so I usually call it that, but I have seen it called hardware disease for ducks.

I know the attraction for shiny objects is there, but seriously, what possesses them to SWALLOW it!? Q is such a picky eater....she has a pretty diverse diet, but she knows what she likes and if she doesn't like the taste, she won't eat it. So really, how delicious are pennies/dimes?
roll.png
I saw the results for myself and I still can't believe it.....

Scovy girls do have the crest, just less pronounced. My girls put theirs up when they are "on alert" or frightened. Generally, when they are up to no good and I'm coming out after them with the broom!

lol.png
Q puts hers up and honks like mad whenever someone comes to the door, rings the doorbell, or knocks. I have three dogs in this house. None of them bark at visitors. But my duck does.
roll.png
lol.png
Whoever said Muscovies are "quiet" or "quackless ducks" never told Q.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
i'm sooo happy your duckie pulled through!!! she's certainly a pretty little thing!! she looks like a female version of my drake LOL. and it looks to me like she's in inside scovy
big_smile.png
she is so lucky to have such a wonderful mommy!!! i can't believe that penny!! that's the worst looking penny i've ever seen!!! muscovies are definately one of the best duckies in my opionion, personality wise, and it sounds like you have one of those good ones lol.

best wishes to your duckie
big_smile.png

Quote:
NO she's a 50 lb Chow/shepherd mix!!!! she's now 4 yrs old, she did this about 2 years ago, you would never know she had anything wrong with her. The dog seriously acts like a JRT tho, I need to take a video of her when she's out on the chain (they are inside/outside - and I do have an electric fence, but nothing stops this dog except her youngin' - and I dont want her climbing a tree again - so the dogs are on chains when I'm not home and they are outside) BUT she jumps like a very kangaroo, AND in the house...she was a rescue puppy @ 4 weeks old the momma dog got killed so I took her and another puppy in, but Gypsy took after the cats and she thinks she's a cat and so she uses the extra large cat liter box i bought for her a few months ago.
gig.gif

but yeah she jumps like a kangaroo, up down up down up down feet in the air about 3 feet, then she's climbed trees before, she chases cars if she gets loose, she thinks she's a cat and uses a liter box, and she listens to the 5 yr old 10X better than me. She's got ADHD to the extreme lol.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well thank you! We are very happy with the way she grew up. There for a while she was our "ugly duck". She was solid black/brown, and she had some crazy white splotches when her head started to change to white. She definitely wasn't pretty during her 'transformation'.
big_smile.png
But we lubbed her anyway.

Yep, she's an indoor ducky. Wasn't planned, but didn't take us long to figure out that was the way it was gonna be.
smile.png

NO she's a 50 lb Chow/shepherd mix!!!! she's now 4 yrs old, she did this about 2 years ago, you would never know she had anything wrong with her. The dog seriously acts like a JRT tho, I need to take a video of her when she's out on the chain (they are inside/outside - and I do have an electric fence, but nothing stops this dog except her youngin' - and I dont want her climbing a tree again - so the dogs are on chains when I'm not home and they are outside) BUT she jumps like a very kangaroo, AND in the house...she was a rescue puppy @ 4 weeks old the momma dog got killed so I took her and another puppy in, but Gypsy took after the cats and she thinks she's a cat and so she uses the extra large cat liter box i bought for her a few months ago.

but yeah she jumps like a kangaroo, up down up down up down feet in the air about 3 feet, then she's climbed trees before, she chases cars if she gets loose, she thinks she's a cat and uses a liter box, and she listens to the 5 yr old 10X better than me. She's got ADHD to the extreme lol.

Ok, THAT is hilarious! I want PICTURES of a 50 lb dog climbing a tree!
lol.png
She sounds a lot like my parents' doberman girl. She's 4 or 5 now and 70 lbs of pure muscle, not a mean bone in her body, but an UNLIMITED supply of energy (but not so much in the brains department).

My chihuahua is litter trained also! She shares her box with our cats. It's amusing, but she's only 10 pounds. I can't imagine a big ol' dawg using a litterbox! lol Too funny!

Q has her own facebook page, any of you who want to 'friend' her.
big_smile.png

www.facebook.com/qrules

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom