My Duck Was Worth 11 Cents - Now She's Worth Several Hundred Dollars

Quackmire, yes I'd seen her climb the short squat trees before and even my 65 lb pit mix has climbed a dwarf peach tree after squirrels and jumped up into small trees before after birds. But when I heard the (at the time 2 other dogs - my eldest dog (she was 13) I had to have put down not longer after Gypsy's acciedent) other dogs barking and someone out there whining so i go out the back door, just to see .... OH $*%* NO GYP- *WHAM* dog was up the good sized oak tree, about 15 ft in the air, how the DEVIL she managed to climb it (it was 12+ ft to the first divide into two trunks then a few more feet to the big branch she used to sky dive off of!) and she landed and crumpled. I swear I had a heart attack at 20! I thought for a second the dog had done killed herself, then she gets up and runs over to me on 3 legs and meets me halfway to the tree. This dog would have been fine with 3 legs, but I wanted to save the leg if it was possible. Its still possible with so much energy and life ahead of her, she may easily damage that leg again and if she does it will probably have to be amputated as the damage before was VERY extensive, she had 4 clean breaks and a few other fractures, she had an outside pins and bar from her shoulder to elbow for 2 months. And for nearly the whole time wouldn't put weight on that leg except for light walking and would do the 3 legged run. Vet warned me that she breaks it again, its likely to shatter along the edges of the other previous points and hardware she still has.
fl.gif
fl.gif
she doesn't do something so crazy again!!!! But I mean really I'm waiting for it
th.gif
its a matter of time with this nut.

THEN if a crazy ADHD dog isn't bad enough I have a psychotic cat who has psychological issues after either being 1. poisoned by something or 2. traumatized by a head injury (bumped by a car or nabbed by a dog) we're not sure whatever really happened to her for the week she'd gotten out and disappeared..but she came back looking all kinds of crazy and like the pet cemetary cat, like really! XD

I have very eclectic bunch fo pets including a duck with a useless eye, - who i have to doctor every day till I can find an affordable specialized vet (my regular vet knows nothing about any kinds birds much less ducks to be able to attempt a surgery to remove the eye)...

We have shotgun shells all over our property and we are constantly picking them up because I'm terrified that one of my ducks or geese are going to eat them. The former owner was an idiot who used to get drunk and shoot his shot gun all hours of the day and night for no reason.

We have parrots so I'm very familiar with metal toxicity in parrots and I knew it was a similar thing with ducks and geese.

Kudos to you for doing what was best for your baby!

Laurie

Well Q went yesterday and had her stitches removed. Doc was very happy with the progress she made, and everyone in the clinic was so happy to see her. She certainly has quite a fan base there. Guess they're tired of the every day dogs and cats.
big_smile.png

She was a very good girl, didn't bite anyone, allowed lots of pettin', and wastaking cheerios from anyone that would offer them. I was very proud of my girl.

Q likes to go for car rides, but she does NOT ride in carriers. She is very much above being stuffed into a carrier. She would much rather ride shotgun, or on my lap. But when we go to the vet, she is allowed to ride wherever, but must go into a carrier before we go in the vet waiting room, because even though I trust her, I DON'T trust people and their dogs. Here she is, after we arrived to the vet and I stuffed her in the carrier. She looks positively defeated!

q167.jpg

After the vet visit though, she got to assume her position at the wheel.
q168.jpg

It is usually about a 40 minute ride to the vet, and she is wonderful in the car, even on a trip that long. She lays down either shotgun or in my lap and rides the whole way without pooping! In fact, when we got to the vets office, I walked her over to the grassy area designated to potty dogs, she pooped, then I put her in the carrier and took her in.
lol.png
A little confession though, I didn't clean up after her like people with dogs have to.
wink.png

Today we went to my parents house and Q "played" outside with the alpacas.
q171.jpg

q172.jpg

They sure are curious about Q. You'd think they'd never seen a duck before. lol

q173.jpg

Q has a 'budget duck pond' at home (a kiddy pool) but at Nana's, she has a welfare pool. (a litterbox pan. never used, of course)
lol.png

q174.jpg

q175.jpg

Then she stands on the 'bank of the pond' and preens. lol
q176.jpg

Back
Top Bottom