MY Ducks have Gape worm! HELP!

I checked it out. It said that they would give drops, but no one ever said for how long. I'll keep looking. I'm sure there has to be an answer somewhere! Thanks!

I usually give mine a drop once every 6 months as a preventive. Ducks and chickens get worms from eating earth worms, ect...

The Ivermectin will kill the worms, mites, or any biting critters:)

Hello, thank you for this awesome thread.

I'm pretty sure one of my runner drakes has gapeworm. I first noticed him going hoarse when trying to talk about two months ago. Happens about once a day since. He's always able to get his voice back and has had absolutely no other symptoms. I've been observing him since, and within the last couple of days, I've noticed he looks like he's trying to choke something back with his bill open... kind of like gagging something back... even when he hasn't eaten in a while. You know, it looks similar to when they get water in their ears, but he has a lot more throat/chest action and it lasts longer.

So, I was wondering two things:

1. About the q-tip test... has anyone tried it and been successful? Any tips?
2. Can I worm just him? No one else is showing any symptoms at all... although some of the girls cough a little when eating sometimes.

Well three I guess; does this sound like gapeworm to you?

Thank you for any help!

I think it is a possibility, certainly, that it's gapeworm. I have not done the q-tip test myself. Seems to me that you can worm just him, perhaps separating him and putting the worming material in his water. We have not needed to worm any of the ducks. Once we needed to give everyone Tylan for a week.

There are 2 members i would PM about worming one is casportpony and the other is Michael Apple both know alot about worming, I'm thinking if you PM them they will take you through the worming what to use to since not every wormer will kill gape worms. I know because my lil roo had it and even though I wormed him 2X with Epernix pour on he died.
I trust both these members to give you good info. i didn't do the q Tip test I went by symptoms.

Last edited:
My answers to your questions are all here in my thread. 1% Ivermectin oral from the DRUG store where you buy your medicine. One small drop on tip of bill or into the bill will kill gape and most other worms. Not to worry about overdosing.

If you read from page one you will find all kinds of tips and ways to save money with birds, dogs, cats, and people!

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone out there know what to give ducks that will kill gape worms and all the other worms they get too?  Also where can I get the medicine...?  How much to use?  What about my babies?  Also can this wormer be given to chickens?  All of my critters get to free roam during the day.  So I figure everyone is infected and if they aren't I still want to treat them all!

Thanks for all the help I'm hoping to get.  Because I haven't had any real luck on my own trying to find something!  /img/smilies/sad.png

I know this thread is old, but the subject came up last week and this thread was mentioned, so I thought I should share what I know and how I have treated gapes.

Wormers like Safeguard and Valbazen can be usd to treat gapes, but they must be given no less than three days in a row.

The Safeguard liquid and paste dose I use is 0.23ml per pound for three days and I usually treat for five days to get capillary worms.

There is a study that shows ivermectin is *not* an effective treatment for gapes unless given as a high dose, so I sure would not try invermectin alone.

-Kathy

I have Gapeworm on my property big time and have had turkeys and chickens die from it. I have found that fenbendazole in the pellet form will get rid of it. It is a dewormer that works well. They sell it at stores like Tractor Supply or feed stores. You can give it to several kinds of animals. I add it a little to the feed for about 6 days, then I wait two weeks, and then I add it again to the feed. This is so I can kill the eggs that have hatched later.

Back
Top Bottom