My ducks only sister got killed, and now I’m waiting for more ducklings. How can I keep her happy and out of depression in the meantime?

JacobH28

Chirping
May 6, 2023
Senoia, Georgia
I had two ducks, unfortunately a raccoon killed the older sister. I believe my littler one witnessed the whole thing, and I found big sis mauled this morning. I’m in the process of reinforcing the coop. We ordered four more Pekin ducklings tonight. How can I keep my other girl happy and healthy even after the loss of one of her sisters. Also, what are some signs she is going into depression?

Attachments

• 7B1156D2-2C77-4CD5-AFAE-91BA1EB29C57.jpeg
    7B1156D2-2C77-4CD5-AFAE-91BA1EB29C57.jpeg
    885.7 KB · Views: 11
:welcome

Sorry for your loss, that must have been very traumatic to find. :(

@nuthatched has the right idea, give her a mirror and a stuffed toy. When you get the new ducklings, make sure to introduce them under supervision as your remaining duckling is probably much older (looking at the picture).

Also, since they are Pekin, make sure to give them extra niacin throughout their lives. They are big birds and will need it for proper joint health.

Good luck, and let us know how things go!

:welcome

Sorry for your loss, that must have been very traumatic to find. :(

@nuthatched has the right idea, give her a mirror and a stuffed toy. When you get the new ducklings, make sure to introduce them under supervision as your remaining duckling is probably much older (looking at the picture).

Also, since they are Pekin, make sure to give them extra niacin throughout their lives. They are big birds and will need it for proper joint health.

Good luck, and let us know how things go!
Thanks!!

I'm very sorry to hear that.

Many on here have had unfortunately similar experiences with raccoons. Were you able to identify where it's getting in? If not, a few photos of your set-up could be useful to post. There's a lot of experienced users here who will be able to spot and give recommendations on whatever fixes you might need before your new ducklings arrive.

I'm very sorry to hear that.

Many on here have had unfortunately similar experiences with raccoons. Were you able to identify where it's getting in? If not, a few photos of your set-up could be useful to post. There's a lot of experienced users here who will be able to spot and give recommendations on whatever fixes you might need before your new ducklings arrive.
Yes we were. It climbed upwards and got onto the roof, where it tore open the wire on top the run. My dad and I are gonna build the ducks and some new chicks a different coop attached to the main coop.

Back
Top Bottom