My female duck is now a male duck... is she going to die?

Yes, they have. When I first heard this I thought the same as you. My degree is in Biology so I searched Scientific articles to see what they said about it. Sure enough, documented cases. Of course I did not find them now with a quick search but here is a bbc article explaining it: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-40016817.amp
I just read this, and still don't believe it. Even IF it were possible for a hen to develop a testis, by what means would the sperm be transferred to a female? There is another component there (quite necessary) that the article did not even mention. Utter hogwash.

I just read this, and still don't believe it. Even IF it were possible for a hen to develop a testis, by what means would the sperm be transferred to a female? There is another component there (quite necessary) that the article did not even mention. Utter hogwash.
I don’t have the time to find the research. I can only report what I found and you can choose whether or not to believe it.
As for your reasoning, most birds do not have a phallus like a duck. They simply put their cloaca next to each other. Maybe that is how? Also, duck phallus shrink to 10% of their original size when hormones are low and “regrow” to normal every spring. Maybe she grows one? 🤷‍♀️

Exactly my thoughts. I first heard this nonsense from a well respected poultry book. I was very surprised. No amount of hormones can EVER in any species, cause a true gender reversal.
No way I have a person being transphobic to my DUCK on my thread. Yes, it's possible, it happens. Birds are magnificent creatures and they can change a lot. She is clearly transitioning, she is growing male plumage, she has drake feathers. Please do not go on to other people's threads and call it "nonsense"

I don’t have the time to find the research. I can only report what I found and you can choose whether or not to believe it.
As for your reasoning, most birds do not have a phallus like a duck. They simply put their cloaca next to each other. Maybe that is how? Also, duck phallus shrink to 10% of their original size when hormones are low and “regrow” to normal every spring. Maybe she grows one? 🤷‍♀️
Not trying to be a jerk. It's just that science is becoming quite ridiculous these days. Much of what is commonly reported as true is lies.

No way I have a person being transphobic to my DUCK on my thread. Yes, it's possible, it happens. Birds are magnificent creatures and they can change a lot. She is clearly transitioning, she is growing male plumage, she has drake feathers. Please do not go on to other people's threads and call it "nonsense"
I didn't mean that a female duck can't grow male plumage. Obviously that happens and there is a mechanism to explain it.

I didn't mean that a female duck can't grow male plumage. Obviously that happens and there is a mechanism to explain it.
If you are going to be nothing but negative on my thread then do not let the door hit you on the way out. I am here asking for advice and more information on what is currently happening with my beloved pet. You coming on here saying everything is 'nonsense' and 'can't happen' is absolutely useless and I did not ask for your opinion. Good bye!

If you are going to be nothing but negative on my thread then do not let the door hit you on the way out. I am here asking for advice and more information on what is currently happening with my beloved pet. You coming on here saying everything is 'nonsense' and 'can't happen' is absolutely useless and I did not ask for your opinion. Good bye!
I'm sorry. It was purely a technical argument. I didn't mean anything about your duck. I hope she does well.

If you are going to be nothing but negative
Maybe it's just me but I'm not reading a lot of negativity coming from the other person. You started a thread centered around a very interesting and semi-controversial topic, on a PUBLIC forum, don't get all butthurt and pissy because people want to share their opinions and experiences. Nobody was even being mean XD.

Maybe it's just me but I'm not reading a lot of negativity coming from the other person. You started a thread centered around a very interesting and semi-controversial topic, on a PUBLIC forum, don't get all butthurt and pissy because people want to share their opinions and experiences. Nobody was even being mean XD.
Asking for HELP. What is controversial about what is going on with my pet???

Asking for HELP.
There's always some bugs in the chocolate bar. You've just gotta spit out the bones.
I've seen TONS of people with transgender birds and they all seem to be doing just fine, I think it's more common than you might think, so your topic became more of a cool talking point rather than an emergency.
What is controversial about what is going on with my pet???
Well this is a topic I've seen many people vehemently argue over, it has to do with biology, hormones, behavior, and anecdotal evidence, so, until more research has been done it'll continue to be as divisive as incubating round eggs or using garlic and ACV as a cure-all. It defies all natural logic and much of the supporting evidence is not as concrete as we'd like it to be.

Back
Top Bottom