My first attempt at a coop!! Any suggestions?

Yes it is PERFECT!!
And no. It may be a bad idea but I told my husband if something bad happens, i'll change the way we do things but we live right off the highway, like it runs in front of my house, and so we never see so much as a squirrel in our yard. And along the back of our property is houses, so we don't get any cross traffic from predators. They have no reason to come across the highway because they run right into houses. Our neighbors have a huge bunch of chickens that are inside or outside whenever they want too and they said they've never had anything try to get in their coop in the 15 years they've lived there.
So all signs point to the idea that they will be alright. Here's hoping.

(does all that make sense? Seems jumbled. I'm tired lol)
yes it made perfect sense. I was tired yesterday and tired again today, does that mean I'm retired? LOL
I do agree with the poster who suggested adding storage for your supplies. I'd go one step farther and suggest it be metal, so mice can't chew their way in
good luck!

I noted I am cutting two windows on each side of the coop. Just havent gotten that far yet. So there will be lots more light. I know it looks dark and dreary in there now but it won't be once we get the windows in. My handyman is coming this saturday to do it :)

And all around the top there is about an inch wide gap between the wall and the roof. You just can't see if in the angle of the pictures. So there's a gap there that allows plenty of ventilation. I think that's enough anyway. They will be able to go outside all the time, I am not planning on shutting them in the coop at night (just my preference and such for where we live and my schedule).

And shoot. I read in another article to use 2x2's for a roost...so that's what I built. I can maybe make something else? Any pictures to give me a clue of what would be better? I want to do it right.

Sorry, I missed the part about adding windows, that will make a big difference. As far as pictures, I don't know how to link threads but check out the thread "poop board convert" in this section of the forum, lots go good pictures of roosts and poop boards. Good luck with your girls, you will love them.

My coop is a remodeled grain shed which has a tiny steel cable running from wall to wall at the top of it. i have no clue how they get up there, but most of my birds sit on it all night. its maybe a quarter inch thick.

More stuff!! Got the window cut out!! And the poop boards are up!

The run is under construction too!

Looks good! I really like how you utilized an old existing structure! I would only suggest that any and all gaps and holes be covered with chicken wire. I see voids in the floor. Keeping rats out is another thing to think about. They will rob your eggs. Good job though it looks really good. Your birds will love it! :D

I love the coop - it'll be so nice and roomy for them!

One recommendation I have is based on how much my chickens seem to love being up high in the coop...... you may want to consider building another roosting area, but up near the ceiling. Your current roosting bars could act like a ladder, and you could simply suspend a long 2x4 a foot down from the existing ceiling joists, running the whole length of the coop. I think you'd be amazed at how much they'd love being up high. Our girls sleep up in the rafters every night.

Back
Top Bottom