My first Chicken Coop Build

EastCoastChickens

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2020
Nova Scotia
Hey folks,
Just wanted to share some progress photos of my first coop build. This will be our first time having chickens and I've designed what I think should be an ideal coop for our hens. This is not completed as I still need to attach a few finishing touches, plus in the process of designing the outside enclosure right now. We will be getting our pullets in June so I am taking my time to plan things out right. If you have any suggestions or input feel free to comment :)
Build1.jpg

The coop is 4'x6' with what will be 3 nesting boxes. I placed it on high ground away from water run off and it sits on large rock formations around our property. There's only about 2 or 3 inches of soil below that grass and moss and the rest is solid rock. The posts are drilled into the rock with rebar and concreted to secure it from our high coastal winds and hurricanes.
Build2.jpg

The outside is sheeted in and exterior plywood siding panels. I picked these up at the lumber yard in 4'x8' sheets so they worked great for the coop size.

Build3.jpg

I managed to find and old window from a guy for $10 which worked perfectly for the east facing sunrise. We have full south facing property on the coast but I thought that if I faced the window direct south, it would get way to hot in there from all the sunlight all day. I managed to get some matching steel roofing to our house which is definitely needed out here with all our winds.

Build4.jpg

Inside the coop is not completed yet. I have added a single roost so far at 30" off the ground and hoping to add one more at a lower height, possibly just over the doorway. I'll also be adding a hanging feeder and water on each side, in the closest corners of this doorway. I'm also on the hunt for a scrap piece of vinyl flooring or plywood to cover the floor with one more layer of lumber to protect it.
Build6.jpg

With the roof completed, i then started trimming the corners and building a frame and sill for the window.
Build7.jpg

Latest addition is the ramp to the doorway, made of some scrap 2x6. This has been such a fun little project. This 4'x6' coop will have a large fully enclosed pen, with access to our 1/2 acre property for them to free range hopefully. Currently we are planning to house 4 hens, but after doing my research I think I'd like to make it 6. Any thoughts? lol.
Thanks for checking out my coop build and I'll be sure to post progress photos when the enclosure is done. If you have any questions or suggestions, just leave me a comment :) Cheers !

Hey folks,
Just wanted to share some progress photos of my first coop build. This will be our first time having chickens and I've designed what I think should be an ideal coop for our hens. This is not completed as I still need to attach a few finishing touches, plus in the process of designing the outside enclosure right now. We will be getting our pullets in June so I am taking my time to plan things out right. If you have any suggestions or input feel free to comment :)
View attachment 2089167
The coop is 4'x6' with what will be 3 nesting boxes. I placed it on high ground away from water run off and it sits on large rock formations around our property. There's only about 2 or 3 inches of soil below that grass and moss and the rest is solid rock. The posts are drilled into the rock with rebar and concreted to secure it from our high coastal winds and hurricanes.
View attachment 2089168
The outside is sheeted in and exterior plywood siding panels. I picked these up at the lumber yard in 4'x8' sheets so they worked great for the coop size.

View attachment 2089169
I managed to find and old window from a guy for $10 which worked perfectly for the east facing sunrise. We have full south facing property on the coast but I thought that if I faced the window direct south, it would get way to hot in there from all the sunlight all day. I managed to get some matching steel roofing to our house which is definitely needed out here with all our winds.

View attachment 2089170
Inside the coop is not completed yet. I have added a single roost so far at 30" off the ground and hoping to add one more at a lower height, possibly just over the doorway. I'll also be adding a hanging feeder and water on each side, in the closest corners of this doorway. I'm also on the hunt for a scrap piece of vinyl flooring or plywood to cover the floor with one more layer of lumber to protect it.
View attachment 2089172
With the roof completed, i then started trimming the corners and building a frame and sill for the window.
View attachment 2089173
Latest addition is the ramp to the doorway, made of some scrap 2x6. This has been such a fun little project. This 4'x6' coop will have a large fully enclosed pen, with access to our 1/2 acre property for them to free range hopefully. Currently we are planning to house 4 hens, but after doing my research I think I'd like to make it 6. Any thoughts? lol.
Thanks for checking out my coop build and I'll be sure to post progress photos when the enclosure is done. If you have any questions or suggestions, just leave me a comment :) Cheers !

Nice coop! I was thinking about flooring too. I’m considering an enamel paint (like for outdoor porches). I also heard some use blackjack 45 or similar roofing paint but that seems a bit expensive.

Nice coop! I was thinking about flooring too. I’m considering an enamel paint (like for outdoor porches). I also heard some use blackjack 45 or similar roofing paint but that seems a bit expensive.
Interesting. Yes I used an exterior grade sealer/stain on all the trim. Its 'guaranteed' for 10 years so they say. I figured its great protection agains moisture. It's called 'Olympic Maximum Stain and Sealant, White Base + 1'
However I'm not certain I want to use any chemicals or paints inside the coop. I know a lot of folks do but I think I'd like to keep it natural wood and avoid any chemicals for the birds to peck away at.

Looks great and your chicken math is already started. Addition first then multiplication. Haha so when are you adding on or building another coop?

Those girls will make a nice dust bath under the coop.
Thank you! Yes chicken math is real isn't it? haha. I've ordered 4 pullets but thinking about adding 2 more now. haha...No more builds in the future, just gotta finish this one first! We have a lot of predators out here in our village so I'm taking my time to plan this enclosure as best I can.

Back
Top Bottom