My first chicks! Silkies, sultan?, polish bantams... and gender qstn.?

phoenixbantam

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 19, 2009
West Palm Beach, FL
So yesterday and today I got my first chicks! So exciting
big_smile.png

Maybe someone can help me with a question, I see on the gender/breed forum people figuring out the genders of the chicks... is there a thread or website somewhere with a list of what traits to look for to try to determine the gender? I am really hoping mine are pullets =/

So here's what I got...

4 day old chicks from feedstore:
orjvhl.jpg

silkie... white? almost looks light blue compared to the other white silkie chicks...

8yvw2b.jpg

polish bantam, do you think it is silver laced? or blue?

mwfa6r.jpg

white crested black polish...

p96wm.jpg

Sultan? Also i had a question on bantams vs standard... can you tell based on chick size? the invoice at the feed store was all bantams except for the sultans which said standard, but hes the same size as the others and they said they ordered all bantams... do you think he is bantam?

And 2 chicks from today, from a farm:
29e3spe.jpg

silkie, 2 weeks i think... is it splash? i think it has gapeworm =/

mimalw.jpg

and my gold laced polish bantam! it is so cute!

i also got 2 red golden pheasant chicks and a lady amherst pheasant and an india blue peachick. but they are all brown and unexciting to look at IMO. lol

would love any feedback or help with my questions!
smile.png

Last edited:
I also can't help but I think they are so cute. I have my first chickens they are `12 weeks old and are so big, they are road island reds, I think I have one roo and 11 hens hope so. good luck I would have gotten some rare breeds but theywere not offered here. so best of luck

Howdy ! They are all cuties.... As far as sexing, Silkies are hard. Some say if you run your finger over the comb area and you feel a bump, it's a boy, but even that is hard to say. Best bet is when they are older............. on all of them. The one you think has gape, listen to it's little lungs. If you hear crackling etc. he prob has a respiratory illness. Keep an eye on him, and if so get him some meds and separate him. As far as colors, First one looks like it might be a Splash, #2 Should be a Silverlaced Polish,#3 WCB, #4 Sultan if it has 5 toes, #5 looks like it is a mix of a light color and Partridge. The pattern on the wings is a sign of Partridge.
big_smile.png

Got one more silkie today! She was on craigslist for $10, and I really wanted a hen because all my others are so young.

23tp9ic.jpg

2ljsyud.jpg

It seems I can't stop buying them! I'm afriad I may be addicted! Please tell me there is a cure!

Just curious: what feather color did your first Silkie chick end up having? I ask because I also just bought my first Silkies last weekend, and from a feed store, and I have a chick that looks almost exactly like your 1st Silkie in the picture! Did it end up being splash, solid white, or some other color?

Looking forward to hearing from you - and a photo of your birds as they are now would be absolutely fantastic!

Here's what my Silkie looks like (and apologies for the poor photo quality - it's a little dark):

I have a chick that looks exactly like #4! can you tell me how he ended up pls? the other chicks are adorable!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom