My first coop

Nice HC/siding detail.

Might want to add more cleats to your ramp, I did 6" spacing and wished I had done 4"....putting a concrete block, tallways, under one end might help too.

It all looks great! Keep up the good work. Anxious to see the finished product.
celebrate.gif

Nice HC/siding detail.

Might want to add more cleats to your ramp, I did 6" spacing and wished I had done 4"....putting a concrete block, tallways, under one end might help too.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think this one will be too steep? I don't know the height off-hand of the pop door, but the bottom of the floor support is 36". So I'd guess about 45". And the ramp is 8' long. Math isn't my strong suit but I believe that would be an angle of about 62 degrees.

I'm also considering putting blackjack 57 on the top/treads. If I need to change this then I need to do it before painting. Thanks!

Not a lot to report. Waiting on blackjack 57 and hardware cloth to come in. I did manage to paint the interior.

Sorry. Not many good pics of this finished yet.

Quote: Not sure of a number for the angle, maybe 30 deg from horizontal?
Or just wait and see how they do on it, you can always stick a block or something under the end since you're going to 'hinge' it (which is a great option). The block keeps it off the ground too, less chance of rot. I didn't paint anything on mine, easier to scrape off if needed once in a while.

I'd definitely add more cleats tho....might want to make it wider too, mine are about 12-14" wide and still have some traffic jams at times and someone has to jump or fly down.

Just some ideas. I always try to build things where I can modify them easily if needed and changed quite a few things once it was in use.

Not a lot to report. Waiting on blackjack 57 and hardware cloth to come in. I did manage to paint the interior.

Sorry. Not many good pics of this finished yet.

are you using the BlackJack to coat the whole interior? That definitely would make cleaning easy if you could even hose down the walls

@aart I think I will add some more cleats if I can find enough wood scraps to finish. If It requires buying something I'll let them fend for themselves a while and see how it goes.

@kirghizstan No, I'm only using the rubr-coat on the floor and up the sides about 4 inches. I can't afford to do the whole interior.

Fighting the rain and a tight schedule, but finished some more. Good thing so far is that it's not leaking. :)

I cut and "pre-installed" the roost and poop board. Taking it back out to paint it and apply the flooring easier.

No loss of floor space.

I also finished installing the hardware cloth in the eaves.

That's probably all I can do until Tuesday. :/

I had my husband hinge ours so that I can open it from the outside and it lays right down. I also had him add more 'wrungs' to it to make it easier for them to come down without slipping and sliding. I haven't had mine out yet, still a bit young and need to get their immune systems up first.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom