My first Fox attack that ended in a kill

Fox ...can not afford too many futile efforts ...too much work makes chicken not worth effort no matter how tasty.
big_smile.png
Who are you speaking about? You or the fox?
wink.png

Well this one somehow pushed his face through the chicken wire (not the edges but smack in the middle) there was fox fur and blood everywhere he would have never gotten the chicken out cause the fencing that was behind the chicken wire is only 3 inches by 3 inches I tripled up on my fencing and will do something to the ground to make it so he cant dig in. :/ hopefully my first killed chicken was my last

I've had a couple of run ins with the fox here. The thing about fox attacks, is that they WILL take more than one if they have the time. I lost 7 one time and 9 the next. My advice, since this fox of yours is so brazen, stupid really, is for you to get a REAL gun and blast the thing into his next life. Get a shotgun, they can be had for low money, load it up with #4 shot, and when he shows up by your porch again, let him have it. He, she?, will not go away, now that he knows where the food bank is. I tried trapping the fox around here, didn't get a one. But I did thin out the coon population around here.
Jack

Blood almost certainly not from fox, rather blood is from bird. Predators very seldom want to damage themselves for a meal. When I had fox issue, it had to partially dismember bird to get it though fencing.

Foxes can in the words of the English, "Be very forward and cheeky fellows!" Also remember there is really no check on fox populations in the UK now that no one is really armed, many hunting dog breeds are banished, and gin traps are outlawed.

Observe the future frustration for small chicken people on this side of the Atlantic if we follow in the UK's foot steps.

Management of predators is not the same as the control of predators. Control caries with it the idea of total annihilation, like the small pox virus. Management on the other hand carries with it the idea of putting the fear of the all mighty in the foxes' little K9 brain. I am afraid that the words "Hey cheeky chops, bugger off!" will work no better here than it works in the UK, because without a healthy fear of humans, predators become like the red fox in this video, "Very forward and cheeky fellows."

What I really find hilarious is how often this male fox scent "marks" every foot of the man's territory. It is almost like he is giving the chickens' owner the old middle digit as if to say, "How dare you keep me from killing your chickens, I'll be back"

Last edited:
Blood almost certainly not from fox, rather blood is from bird. Predators very seldom want to damage themselves for a meal.  When I had fox issue, it had to partially dismember bird to get it though fencing.

Actually the fox had blood all over the side of his neck where the fence was torn the fox fur had blood on it as well I am sure some of it was chicken blood but the fox did cut himself up pretty bad I doubt he got chicken blood behind his ear

I've had a couple of run ins with the fox here. The thing about fox attacks, is that they WILL take more than one if they have the time.  I lost 7 one time and 9 the next. My advice, since this fox of yours is so brazen, stupid really, is for you to get a REAL gun and blast the thing into his next life. Get a shotgun, they can be had for low money, load it up with #4 shot, and when he shows up by your porch again, let him have it. He, she?, will not go away, now that he knows where the food bank is. I tried trapping the fox around here, didn't get a one. But I did thin out the coon population around here. 
Jack

Ya my husband is buying a .22 when he get back in town :) this fox is insane and not scared of anything its time for him to go. Not only to keep my chickens safe but my 2 and 3 year old daughters too

(edit - sorry I didn't realize you had no gun yet and were posting that while I wrote - I'll leave what I wrote so I can laugh at myself - best of luck with this ) You shot the fox how many time with bbs?. Use a .22 or a shotgun! Kill it.

Foxes aren't going extinct. Obviously you didn't want to kill it (or is it illegal where you are)?

It's not always "bad" to kill a predator. They go through the feast or famine cycles of nature, and often thinning their #s helps other predators in the wilds around your place. Also you have shot a bold fox - maybe less bold fox genes will increase - meaning foxes more scared of us. Who knows?

If we can't kill agressive foxes that are clear and persistent menaces & pests, I just wonder if we're getting too civilized for our own good.

I'm not saying to do a fox eradication or kill them all. It's that I know people who "live trap" mice & rats and waste gas to drive away & release them (creating a problem for people there!). At what point is "being humane" just plain old baldfaced absurdity? I dunno - I must be evil.. Just kill that fox, please!

Last edited:
Show a picture of where fox penetrates fencing material. You had to get very close to it to see blood from either fox or chicken on fox. In most instances, and I have seen many, attacks by fox are relatively bloodless unless fox has to pull live victim through wire and victim is flinging blood about in struggle.

Oh! You were posting about getting a 22 while I wrote that! Sorry I ranted.

Good luck shooting it, & I hope all goes well with you!

Back
Top Bottom