My First Quail

That's exciting! We just moved our four week olds to their permanent home which is a chicken coop. Not sure if they'll like it as its two story and they have only used the ramp when we prompted them. We're hoping they catch on after a week. We'll see.

I ordered more eggs that are due to arrive in two weeks. They are a different breed so we'll be buying another coop to keep them separated.
We ordered from James Marie Farms. He was very knowledgable and helpful and friendly. I'm anxious to see what our hatch rate is!

Upon careful inspection, it looks like one of my four new birds may be a roo. Though at a glance he does look like a female, but when I was looking at him, I noticed definite rust coloring on his breast. Main reason I got hens was so I wouldn't have to incubate again right away, knowing males need multiple females. I'll give it some time just in case I'm misjudging it, since it does still have the speckles, but red is mixed in. I was told, and while i was there, asked to made sure, that they are 4 weeks old. But if the red is only just now coming in, it makes me think they're younger, which would make the assumption make more sense, since I thought i had two girls at first, then one became more red. I don't know for sure though. I'll contact him if it turns out to really be male.
Also, all four of them had missing feathers on their lower backs. [now pinfeathers, so growing back] which I am lead to believe whoever had them before the guy I got them from was keeping them in heavily crowded conditions. One has scissor/crooked beak, but not too badly. I'll be keeping a close eye on her. I saw the conditions they were kept in before they were in my hands, so i think those poor conditions were from his 'supplier'-- Not worth the 1.5 hour drive, but not an entire waste either.

Otherwise they do all seem perfectly healthy. Eating and drinking.

I will be ordering eggs again in the near future, but not quite yet. Most likely from James Marie Farms c:

Last edited:
Them in their section of the cage. [cappuccino box is temporary dust bath]

Crooked beak on the golden

Lower back feathers on the golden. [they all have this, even the one that may be a boy.]-- I want to restate that I just got them today, this is the condition I received them in. They are growing back though

Hm. 4 week old female, or 2 week old male...I notice how his/her head is barely feathered, and still fuzzy, and being compared side-by-side to birds that ARE 4 weeks old....

The ones I got today are standard coturnix, so their small size isn't something that surprised me when I compared them to my pair of jumbos. but looking at the last picture above, they do look younger than 4 weeks.

This is just speculation by an amateur, so time will tell I guess :/

Last edited:
Yeah im sure these birds are around 2.5-3 weeks, not 4 weeks. I'd have been okay with that if he had told me, but he either lied, or didn't know his stuff. 

It's honestly a relief because they were so much smaller. if they're only 2 weeks, then they'll get bigger.

Last edited:
I have 25 quail eggs in the incubator. This is my first attempt at raising quail. They were only put in there yesterday so I have a long wait until they hatch but I am so excited. The eggs are all heavily speckled though so I am not going to be able to candle them very accurately.

I have 25 quail eggs in the incubator. This is my first attempt at raising quail. They were only put in there yesterday so I have a long wait until they hatch but I am so excited. The eggs are all heavily speckled though so I am not going to be able to candle them very accurately.

Oh good luck!! My first hatch was with speckled eggs as well, and there's not really much point in candling until right before lockdown, since it's so hard to see into them :c
They're such cute and quirky little birds!

I have 17 Mexican Speckled quail in my incubator. Today is day 23 (around 6 PM central actually) and haven't even had any pips. One was rolling around a little this morning though. I don't know if they'll hatch or not..

Back
Top Bottom