My First Quail

hello, I am new here. And read all your posts. I have 10 eggs going into lockdown Sunday! And another 24 I just put in the incubator today. I'm getting excited! I did hatch some last year for the first time in many years. And I ended up with 6 out of 14. With 1 hatching out 8 days after the others. So my lesson in that hatch is to keep them in past the hatch date!

Also, I learned the hard way. Always make sure your quail are in a pen, they can't put their he'd through the bars in! I raise chickens and rabbits as well. And for 5 days in a row, I had 1 quail each day have a chunk of his neck gone. I had to put all 5 down. And my one who was 8 days late is my lone services. It took me till this week to Lear what got my quail! I was my chickens! The quail would stick their neck out to fight off the chickens, and would get bit by the big beak of the chickens!

I have 2 incubators now and 1 on the way. As I also hatch out chickens of all kinds. So I will be using 2 as lockdowns of different eggs. And I have a turner that has both quail and chicken rails in it. So needless to say, I will be posting a lot of hatching!

I can't wait! I'm excited !:weee

After 6 weeks of having quail, I'm really enjoying them. Their little quirky behaviors are fun to watch. No eggs yet, but I don't really expect any for at least another two weeks.
I am looking in to getting more housing before I order more eggs, but I absolutely will before incubating my own, whenever my hens start laying. c:

Hello people, I have recently got myself 4 quail and I put them in my hawk pen(3 by 3). I only have 4 birds ib there. Is this too big for them to reproduce? I have an incubator and brooder ready

I got my first egg today!!! I was cleaning the cage and took out the dustbath and it was in there :O!

Congratulations!! Wow, they're speedy.
wee.gif

Ive had my quail for 3(almost haha) weeks now and I love them :3 I am having trouble telling genders haha. probably because i have two whites (heard they are next to impossible to tell until they crow or lay. one which crows all the time haha) and both of my speckled pretty much look the same to me. XD

I think they are both females but im not sure haha. sorry for the bad picture as well.

Last edited:
No eggs for us yet and we are at week eight. :(.

We have 48 more eggs in lock down though, and we might see little peepers on Easter!

It looks like 17 are not developed at all but we are hoping for at least 30 to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom