My First Silkie Egg!

RavenWood

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 2, 2012
Vanderhoof, BC Canada
I've been waiting and waiting and finally this morning I found an egg in my Peep House where I keep my Silkies and Polands. Pretty sure it's a Silkie egg since it's pretty small ... but it's possible that it's from one of my Poland hens. What colour eggs to Silkies lay?

Silkie eggs can range from a light cream color to a darker tan color.

And CONGRATULATIONS on your first Silkie egg!
thumbsup.gif

Cool! So does anyone know what colour eggs Polands lay? I'm not sure which of my 6 hens laid it, but I have two that will be a year in spring and 4 that will be a year in summer so I'm assuming it is one of the older two - either Snowball or Zelda.
I've heard Polish lay only white eggs and they are bigger then the Silkie egg and smaller then a Large egg. Maybe a Medium?

My Silkies laid there first eggs recently too! We are soo excited, as these are our first Silkies. They were hatched in June '12. One was 32 weeks old and the other just laid her first today at 34 weeks.

Compared to our RIR:

Here's my girls. Pics are from the fall, before the rain set in. Now they are looking a little soggy :)

Cool! So does anyone know what colour eggs Polands lay? I'm not sure which of my 6 hens laid it, but I have two that will be a year in spring and 4 that will be a year in summer so I'm assuming it is one of the older two - either Snowball or Zelda.

Thanks!

I was surprised at how small my first Silkie egg was .... take a look at this one from today's collection! Now, I'm sure this is nothing for quail folks, but this is so small for a chicken! Some of my Silkie hens are small (they must be bantam sized), but wow! It even had a fertilized yolk - obviously my Silkie roos are getting the job done! I ate it too, and it was tasty!

small hen egg, tiny Ameraucana egg (one of my old hens first after a moult), my Silkie egg, my teeny tiniest Silkie egg

Not much bigger than a quarter!

And it even has a fertilized yolk! You can't see the blastoderm in this pic though.

Upper left corner - it wasn't over easy, but still tasty! The other Silkie egg on the right and a regular egg at bottom of pic.

I got my first silkie egg yesterday and another today from the same hen. With the weather getting cold should I remove the eggs, or allow them to stay in nest.
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom