My first winter with the geese

I still have good grass here. I get some snow and it covers up for a day or so but I expect it to stick at some point. how do you guys who feed hay set it out for them? I was debating building a bunk feeder to hold flats of hay just so they could pick at it.

For ours it depends on where they end up penned for the winter. During the growing season they roam, but once the grass is spent we pen them for the winter and they stay there until they're done with breeding season. This conveniently coincides with about the time the grass comes back on here and then out they go to free-range until the next winter. This winter they're in with a steer so they're eating right off the round bale with him. In the past they have eaten out of hay feeders, out of hay troughs/bunks made of wood slats and right off the ground. They're not picky, so whatever works for you will pretty much work for them.

Thanks, that's good to know.
tonight me and my son were moving our Polaris Razor out of the barn and into the pen to tow some logs to cut up. the largest one King Kong attacked the machine. my son stopped right on its toe. kinda hung there for a second then he rolled off its foot. didn't seem to hurt the bugger but yep they are getting their panties in a wad, so far this week has chased my son every time he comes out. bit him square in the butt Sunday
lol.png

In England, wheat is a primary feedstuff for geese. Whatever hay you get, you don't want it to be stemmy and thick, the ligine(sp?) can bind up inside them I read. Mine get a pellet of alfalfa/oat, and some poultry pellets and scratch grain for variety as they are off the yards now and in a winter day yard.... they love corn, but too much isn't good for them, makes them fat!

My neighbor is WWII vet and he is still farming. he makes hay off his 18 or so acres and the alfalfa petered out long ago. its the perfect mix of timothy & rye. I think the birds would enjoy it. its a nice grassy mix.

Quote:
I was going to try feeding hay this winter. Should it be chopped (1-6 inches), or will they cut it up as they eat it like they cut off fresh grass? I really don't want any to get "impacted" or anything from eating long strands.

I have six Grey Saddleback Pomeranian geese. They eat one to two flakes of hay, and about a quart of Agway Game Bird pellets with a handful of cracked corn every day. I've had them for five years and they are healthy and happy birds. Hay is a staple for geese. Sometimes I spread the hay around their paddock and throw cut up apples and corn around for them to forrage in when grass is not available. Forraging is their natural behavior, and appears to be enjoyable to them. Never feed your animals or birds straw. Straw is bedding, and its not good goose bedding because it gets dirty with wet goose droppings quickly and retains the moisture. Shavings are best for bedding. Good luck to you and your geese!

Last edited:
Quote:
My husband were just talking about that the other day; if this weather continues I wouldn't be surprised to see ours come into season earlier. Normally they wait until late February or March. I haven't seen any signs yet, but we'll see... (I'm not far from you.
smile.png
)

In England, wheat is a primary feedstuff for geese. Whatever hay you get, you don't want it to be stemmy and thick, the ligine(sp?) can bind up inside them I read. Mine get a pellet of alfalfa/oat, and some poultry pellets and scratch grain for variety as they are off the yards now and in a winter day yard.... they love corn, but too much isn't good for them, makes them fat!

Lignin is not digestible in animals, but you do not have to worry about it "binding up" inside of them. Just make sure they have access to grit or gravel to aid digestion of any tougher pieces they eat and feed your hay free-choice. They'll skip over most of the hard pieces for the simple reason of palatability.

I absolutely agree about the corn. And winter is a great time to naturally slim your geese down in preparation for breeding season. Fat geese cannot breed as well.

I was going to try feeding hay this winter. Should it be chopped (1-6 inches), or will they cut it up as they eat it like they cut off fresh grass? I really don't want any to get "impacted" or anything from eating long strands.

It doesn't need to be chopped. Like I said just make sure they have access to grit or gravel to use as they please. It's all they need. They have evolved for centuries to consume greens and forages.

Never feed your animals or birds straw. Straw is bedding, and its not good goose bedding because it gets dirty with wet goose droppings quickly and retains the moisture. Shavings are best for bedding.

Straw is largely nutritionally void, but it won't hurt birds or any animals to pick through it if they choose. Problems can arise if you leave them with nothing but straw to eat, but as long as they have options they are fine to pick through the straw and eat whatever they find to be palatable among it. Straw is also a fine bedding for geese and is actually more absorbent than shavings; neither holds moisture more than the other. You may be thinking of hay as a bedding which also is absorbent but that can mold more readily than the other two when wet. any bedding needs to be changed or refreshed when soiled. Let's not fear monger.​

Back
Top Bottom