My Hatching Journey: the Adventures of a Complete Newbie

Pics
Candle results 2/6/16

Candled 15, 2 blood rings (confirmed by cracking) and one with veins and another with a moving black dot. The rest were all pretty clear, no obvious veining, but nothing saying they were not alive. Down to 13, 8 BSL and 5 EE.

The one with the blood ring I had accidentally put upside down. It was a very round egg. When I cracked it, I could see eyes on the embryo. The other blood ring was just a ring and no baby. Sorry, I didn't get picturess of the dead ones. On another EE, there was a light ring ish thing, but I left it as I was not sure that it was not veins.
The one with definite veining is a EE, the mover is a BSL.

END TALLY- 13 eggs left, 5 EE and 8 BSL
Veins: hard to see, but there.

The ones with blood rings:

Last edited:
Did my candle, 2 blood rings (confirmed by cracking) and one with veins and another with a moving black dot. The rest were all pretty clear, no obvious veining, but nothing saying they were not alive. Down to 13, 8 BSL and 5 EE.

The one with the blood ring I had accidentally put upside down, (
th.gif
) it was a very round egg. BUT, when I cracked it, I could see eyes on the embryo! Sad, but very cool. The other blood ring was just a ring and no baby. Sorry, I didn't get pics of the dead ones. On another EE, there was a light ring ish thing, but I left it as I was not sure that it was not veins.
The one with definite veining is a EE, the mover is a BSL.
Pics:

Veins!!! Very hard to se, but they are there!
wee.gif

The ones with blood rings:

hugs.gif
sweets, your light may not be enough to see them this early. let them in and keep on trucking.... This is the neighbors roo that you took in that covers your hens ? Have you cracked any eggs open and check fertility before hatch? I will assume so because your eating them
fl.gif

:hugs sweets, your light may not be enough to see them this early. let them in and keep on trucking.... This is the neighbors roo that you took in that covers your hens ? Have you cracked any eggs open and check fertility before hatch? I will assume so because your eating them :fl
That's what I figured, so I left all of them that didn't have blood rings. :fl
No, the roosters are Bubbles and Pebbles, she ended up keeping the other boy as she found a better coop.

Yes, I have seen almost 100% fertility recently.

I A.) have no idea what I am looking for, and B.) the egg shells are really darker than I should have tried for my first hatch. Anyway, I saw some life, so I'm happy.

Last edited:
Quote:
Have a look again at these candles, see my note about incubating upright, see how light the veins are when the embryo sits on the top at the air cell? I will add, another reason I like to incubate sideways, for some reason my brain tells me its better to have the embryo down in the egg than so close to that air cell.....
wink.png
although turning is a big issues with incubating too, and if you cant do it way more than 3x a day, use the turner yeppers!!

These images show a bit more what the egg with veins in it looked like.

Last edited:
Have a look again at these candles, see my note about incubating upright, see how light the veins are when the embryo sits on the top at the air cell? I will add, another reason I like to incubate sideways, for some reason my brain tells me its better to have the embryo down in the egg than so close to that air cell..... ;) although turning is a big issues with incubating too, and if you cant do it way more than 3x a day, use the turner yeppers!!

• [COLOR=008080]Day 7 candle images[/COLOR] post #41332
I doubt I would be around the house enough to hand turn, but maybe once life calms down a bit.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom