My head hen died last night

JCE123

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 23, 2014
My head hen died last night, I have no idea why. A vet is coming to try and figure it out. My question is- will the others now start fighting for position? Wander around aimlessly (they all followed her lead without question)? There is no clear #2. Just curious....

There will probably be a few scuffles as they figure out who is going to be the head hen again. I would expect some of them to challenge each other, but the lowly birds probably won't bother.

I wouldn't worry too much though - you won't have anything akin to a cock fight on your hands. Hens are not generally as rough with each other as roosters are - a few chest bumps and pecks and it will all be over.

I'm very sorry you lost your bird though. It's always sad to lose a beloved pet. I hope your vet can get to the bottom of it for you.

- Krista

My head hen died last night, I have no idea why. A vet is coming to try and figure it out. My question is- will the others now start fighting for position? Wander around aimlessly (they all followed her lead without question)? There is no clear #2. Just curious....
So sorry to hear about your hen.
sad.png

Well, here's a follow up to Elsa's story. We got the necropsy report and it seems to indicate coccidiosis plus liver problems. I'd like to attach a copy, maybe someone could look at it and offer a better translation. It seems to say there were some rumors, and mentions Mareks, but seems inconclusive about that.

Sorry for the loss of your hen. How old? The report didn't mention eggs, so had she stopped laying? They are doing further testing for Marek's and leucosis, so a further report will be helpful too. Fatty liver with hemorrhage is not rare in backyard birds, especially if she was no longer laying eggs. Lots of high calorie goodies, less exercise, and genetics. Sounds like checking for an overabundance of coccidia, and maybe treating the flock, is indicated. She may have been the bird who was in failing health so the coccidia took over. Having a necropsy done is really good, because you will get answers, and can make informed decisions as you move forward. Mary

Thank you, Mary. She wasn't quite a year old, laying great. And not so much as a whisper of ever being ill, she was the one who chased me around my yard, jumped up on railings to look over fences, etc, the most. I have since treated with Corid.
I realized this wasn't the best thread for my necropsy report, so have started a new thread specifically for that.

Back
Top Bottom