My hen isn't laying...

Unruly Chicken

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2015
Ok, so first things first, I have a Blue Speckled Silkie and she is not laying eggs. I have no idea why. She was laying before I bought her, but she hasn't laid once since I got her. I am about to buy a Silkie Rooster but I am not sure if I should since she is not laying. I want to breed her but I cant, I have been feeding and watering her regularly and it is gone when I feed her again so I know that she is eating. I am worried about her, is there any food or anything like that that could get her to start laying again. Thanks
jumpy.gif

Silkies aren't the best layers, they tend to only lay before going broody, at which point they stop again. She could be stressed by the heat (if it is hot there), a recent move or change to her environment, or she could even be molting.
As long as she is getting proper calcium and protein then it shouldn't be a nutritional problem.
A rooster may start her up laying again, and no matter what silkie roosters are just a ton of fun to have around.
smile.png

Best of luck!

Thanks, I got her a few weeks ago so that might be the problem, she had 14 chicks a month ago, and it is around 90 degrees here. So it will probably be awhile right?

Yeah, it can take a while after going broody, moving, or after warm weather before they start laying again.

Back
Top Bottom