My JUMBO Italian Celadon Project

Pics
Dec 1, 2020
Western Washington
Hello! After a fair amount of research I decided I wanted to start a project and develop a Jumbo Italian Celadon Coturnix. I know, like I said in the title (🤣), this is no short project. Maybe Im going a bit far for my first time really trying to breed something other than just - keep jumbo size in already jumbo quail. But I can be patient (I hope). Anyways, I have never actually bred celadon quail before, only talked to people online and read a lot of good articles. I got a lot of help on an earlier thread. I want to breed these for a few simple reasons:

1. I get bothered that its hard to candle quail eggs and see in detail what's going on and I believe celadons will be easier without the brown splotches
2. I am super excited to learn more about quail genetics through BYC and experience
3. I LOVE the Italian color and raise quail for meat so would like them to be jumbo
4. I am hoping to sell these eggs somewhere down the road if I can achieve my goal
5. Honestly I just love the record keeping and problem solving of quail breeding and think this will be very fun.

I ordered 25 gold eggs from Myshire Farm that have been packaged today and should ship very soon (😆 so excited). I am gonna need another incubator but am now looking into what celadons I want to get specifically. I have found some Tibetan and tuxedo celadons, does anyone have recommendations for what color celadons I should come up with? I know Italians are incomplete dominant so I am really not sure how it will go trying to breed these. However I know its not best to breed golds to gold for more than a few generations before adding something else in then breeding out. So its got to be possible without screwing up the colors. Anyways, I would love to hear any insight or ideas you may have. I am going to keep posting the happenings on this thread if not just for myself to look back and see later.

Also, does this even sound interesting to anyone😂? No but really, I want these for my own self as well but if this is something people might want to buy I would love to know. I was searching for Italian celadons and couldn't find any, thats what made me think to do it myself.

I would be highly interested in jumbo celadons. I specifically have celadons because their eggs are easy to find on the ground but always think how it would be nice to have bigger eggs and bigger roosters in the freezer.

I’ve been working on snowie celadons, I currently have 1 pearl that is very large and lays blue eggs. My celadons carriers are pearls and Italians that I got from crossing the Myshire snowie mix I received to my celadons. The most difficult part of a celadon project is getting your first full celadon male. After that it’s easy and just a waiting game haha.

I have 3 groups of chicks (celadon carriers crossed to pure celadons) that are growing out, half the hens should lay blue, and I have a good mix of Italians, snowies and pearls. This should be the generation that really turns the corner for me.

In your Myshire mix, you should get some manchurians, they are double Italians, if you cross them to non Italians, all the chicks will be Italian, if you cross them to Italians, all chicks will be Italian or manchurian. From what I’ve read, they’ve bred the lethal gene out of the goldens, so they are not a problem, but it’s still good to add new blood every so often.

In your Myshire mix, you should get some manchurians, they are double Italians, if you cross them to non Italians, all the chicks will be Italian, if you cross them to Italians, all chicks will be Italian or manchurian. From what I’ve read, they’ve bred the lethal gene out of the goldens, so they are not a problem, but it’s still good to add new blood every so often.
Oh wow thats interesting. So if I were to keep breeding, celadon, Manchurians and bred them a celadon other than Italian all the chicks will be Italian?

Back
Top Bottom