My Liege Fighters at 20 weeks

Wow, gorgeous birds! Thank you for sharing. What is it about the one rooster that makes him the smartest?
Its hard to explain, but he just has always been the best at getting to the feed when I have temporarily placed it somewhere out of reach. When I kept them in the yard he was the one who always found his way out. Just little things. His sister will always be in the wrong place at the wrong time when I'm trying to work with them. But I would say they both are on the "tamer" end of the scale.

As they mature will they become aggressive to the point that they will fight to the death ?
They will be separated into trios and pairs before that happens, but they have grown up together in such a way that I am not too concerned about it. Greenfire keeps adult roosters together as you can see on their photos and I have talked to them about it. They are fairly sociable, not like American Game or some others.

But I'm not going to chance it, they are getting breeding pens built before spring rolls around. I read some good advice on this forum a little while back, it basically said that all roosters fight, its just that the games are known to keep fighting even after someone gets beat up.

Now I need to knock on wood, but they do squabble and peck, but I have only seen blood on the saddle of one of the roosters and that was around the 10-12 week point. A little blu-kote took care of that. Other than a drop of blood on one of the hen's noses, that's the only blood that's been drawn and they seem to have worked out a workable pecking order for the time being. But like I said, they don't even have real spurs yet.

I do think that once I have separated them and allowed them to form their breeding groups that I would not want to mix them back up - I'm sure that would be trouble.

Last edited:
At 3 weeks.
IMG_4762.JPG

As they mature will they become aggressive to the point that they will fight to the death ?
I absolutely LOVE the liege fighters I got from Greenfire Farms in May 2017!! They are giant pets! The females are so smart and have turned into "lap chickens" who love attention and affection. I have 3 roosters-they all got along great until about 5-6 months. Then one of the roosters (Titan) was singled out and attacked by one other rooster (Hercules). Titan had no feathers left on his neck and head, skin lacerated, cut and bleeding and had a large area on his head sliced open deep into the flesh. I was not sure if he'd make it. Fortunately, with lots of care and special attention, within a couple of DAYS he was healing and up walking; looking very mangled but back to himself. I have separated Titan from the other 2 liege fighter roosters and have not had any more issues of fighting. His feathers grew back quickly and beautifully! You'd never know what bad shape he was in. All 3 of my roosters are exceptionally docile and easily handled by humans. I hope that helps you a little??

I absolutely LOVE the liege fighters I got from Greenfire Farms in May 2017!! They are giant pets! The females are so smart and have turned into "lap chickens" who love attention and affection. I have 3 roosters-they all got along great until about 5-6 months. Then one of the roosters (Titan) was singled out and attacked by one other rooster (Hercules). Titan had no feathers left on his neck and head, skin lacerated, cut and bleeding and had a large area on his head sliced open deep into the flesh. I was not sure if he'd make it. Fortunately, with lots of care and special attention, within a couple of DAYS he was healing and up walking; looking very mangled but back to himself. I have separated Titan from the other 2 liege fighter roosters and have not had any more issues of fighting. His feathers grew back quickly and beautifully! You'd never know what bad shape he was in. All 3 of my roosters are exceptionally docile and easily handled by humans. I hope that helps you a little??

Would you be selling any eggs?

"Splash" rooster (overall smallest rooster at 20 weeks - I would also say he's the smartest of the whole flock, unlike his sister)View attachment 1209955
Do you have pictures of the splash ones as chicks. I'm kind of curious what my liege fighter chicks from greenfire farms will look like. I have two gray chicks and seven mostly black ones. Do you have any idea what they might look like as they get older?

My splash hen and rooster were both yellow as chicks. The remainder were black or dark gray and the blacks all became red partridge. The grays turned out gray birchen or lemon hackled birchen with a lot of green in the black.

I'm using diggm's picture from another thread to show you what I mean.

c1c370ef-4c71-4dae-bec9-d413726bb98b-jpeg.1185409

The chick I had that looked like the one on the left (above) turned out to be the one in my post above that I said was largest at 10 weeks. This one (below). I would make a small wager that the gray chick above turns out to be a cockerel. The yellow one I wouldn't make a guess. All the chicks I had that had any kind of marking above their eye all turned out to be male. Its a total guess, but I would bet a carton of eggs (not hatching eggs).

img_4810-jpg.1209951

The yellow chick on the right will turn out splash if its like mine.

I am the proud owner of one Leige Fighter I got from Greenfires farm. (Among other chicks too). It’s one 5 week old today & super sweet & ver curios. At what age will I be able to tell if I got a boy or girl? This is the only time I want an unsexed chick to be a rooster. Lol. So I’m sure I have a girl.

Attachments

• 42C6C19C-BBA7-43B4-B571-A9020054C1CA.jpeg
    42C6C19C-BBA7-43B4-B571-A9020054C1CA.jpeg
    675.6 KB · Views: 65
  • E172E382-DF6B-4F59-A005-98A1818EA64B.jpeg
    E172E382-DF6B-4F59-A005-98A1818EA64B.jpeg
    673.5 KB · Views: 66

Back
Top Bottom