My little Nando just will not grow! Update: He's found a forever home!

In case you don't already know, Ponderosa pine needles make great substrate for the coop or run floor. I gather several garbage cans full from a neighbor's tree when it's dry and store them in the shed. Every month or so I spread some more around. Keeps the mud at bay. I only use the long long ponderosa ones because they don't eat them like the short needles and they take a long time to compost. The price is right!

LOVE the pictures of Nando and his ladies. What a wonderful home he's found!! That one black hen looks like she's just finished swallowing a snake in that one pic...just the tail sticking out! lol

Quote:
Her name is Sammy. She is ALWAYS eating grass. Theres always food out for them, but she just has a thing about eating grass. I dont know why though. I love having him with my girls as well. His crow makes me chuckle. Its not that loud either.
smile.png

Quote:
Wouldnt it pole their feet though? It didnt seem to bother them when they were picking at it and shoveling it around though. I never thought about using the needles though so It defiantly should be be something I will try.

Followed Nando's story for a long time now, very glad to hear he found a loving home!
If there's anyone reading in the Seattle area outside of the city, I have two cockerels that will need homes when they start to crow. I'd love if they could have something of a life, although I understand roosters are a dime a dozen, and they may end up as dinner. They're gorgeous birds, one Barnevelder and one Wheaten Marans. PM me if you're interested. Thanks, and congratulations Nando!

Quote:
Wouldnt it pole their feet though? It didnt seem to bother them when they were picking at it and shoveling it around though. I never thought about using the needles though so It defiantly should be be something I will try.

Guessing you meant poke their feet? I have the pine needles in an outside area matting down a muddy area, so they are not on it all the time. I use sand in most all areas except for that one strip behind my garden. It doesn't seem to bug them, but they do get soggy and churned with leaves and dirt. I add fresh every so often. I think the sand gets pretty cold when the ground freezes (Duh!) So I like them to have different areas to go.

OK! So here is the update. Nando has become more successfully with mounting chickens and I have finally started getting fertilized eggs! I am incubating them as we speak. They are about 5 days into the incubating process and I will let you guys all know when they have hatched! Nando babies will be everywhere lol.

Back
Top Bottom