My Lost Hope

Tacampbell1973

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2013
Washington State
Once or so in our life we are lucky enough to come across the perfect friend. Usually it is a person, in my case it was the most beautiful white Cochin named Hope.
This is her story, I hope it is a fitting enough tribute to her.
I acquired Hopey and her sister Faith at an auction 6 years back. when i saw them there was no doubt in my mind that i would outbid everybody there if necessary.They were literally coming home with me at all cost. My husband must have seen the look in my eye because he outbid a motherand her adorable daughter for them.
From the start Hope was unique. she had a wierd toenail. Her "thumbnail" pointed straight up often getting caught in the various afghans i cloaked her in. Both she and her sister would get prone to eggbound in cold weather. Faces would turn pale and wings outstetched.often they would pass a shelless egg. Upped their vitamin and oyster shell. Hopey i puta diaper on so she could be a better house chiCken...she did three sumo steps and tipped over protested!spoiled brat!anywho, i lost my best friend in August of last year... a freaking raccoon left her headlesS corpse on my lawn to find.in her defense she protected 9 beautiful babies.still i never cried so much in my life. we had a language, i asked what did you say and she always answered "HuHHHHH". After losing her i realizec that i had at least 6 of her offspring.which quickly became my "favorites" noone will ever replace dopey doo. dont ask, the nickname evolved from hopey dopey to dopey doo. anywho she was my angel, crap on the floor, no big, her son, i named him Beep as he made that sound as a chick.... hey ive named my kids, toot and scamper, and velvet, beep was no stretch.ive got a Guinea named Tick,a name is just that. smething more than dammit, hey you! anywho my baby is gone, i cried million tears i didnt know i had. turns out when i started my little enterprise here i had 3 roosters and 5 hens,so forgive me for having a well duh moment, but go to ;dealing with my now 50 plus friends/loves of my life and i realized that miss dopey doo left me with way more than a memory..yeah the smart onesp]\ probably would hqave relized it way sooner...i had at the least 4 hens and two roosters bearing the white togs of my dopadoo and had the jacked toenail.
now some 6 months later her grandbaby, Starfire has my heart. two clutches in, i see Hopey dopey in all of them.not totally fixing my heartbreak, but kind of. of the babies my hopie was dying to protect i kept onr I namedher Promise.the name says everything]. I wrote this heartfelt message knowing somebody ar BYC would understand,, Not every chickwn is a requirenment for food or egs, ome of them justtug at our heart. Derp and Trousers come to mind...I hug all my babies daily, they complete me... kinda sd but tru. chickens dont have drama,just want icky bgugs (mealwormsand loves. BTW has anyone else been hugged by their chicken? its better than nything!cheek to cheek!

Back
Top Bottom