MY MEGA Coop Build Begins

Well rained out wend this week, off next Thursday will continue construction then,
ill try and get some of my drawings posted so you can see the thought process of where I started and am now at.

Can't wait to see more pics! Construction on my 20 x 30 barn which is half for chickens other half for goats, is going to begin.....right when my help stops delaying.... Sigh. Darn fishing, lol :)

well we got a little bit done last thursday before we got rained out. We Found a badly split gurder 2x10 that needed repair first, so we scabbed another 2x6 an to it and screwed and nailed it
We added the extra set of floor supports, I dug out the grass and placed a solid 4x8x16 cinder block down the used 2 2x6 to make an L and attached that to the floor joists, and the braced them with 4x6 legs.

Split 2x10 floor gurder

Now scabbed over with a 2x6

another shot showing scabb , also shows a few of the floor joists in place at the center of the building

This is the L we made out of 2 2x6 for extra floor support, you can see the block i dug down through the grass so it would be solid when the organics were gone.
and then i installed legs on each post that are attached tho the L shaped 2x6s we got rained out at this point so ill update with more pics later this week.

see the 2 2x6 here one vertical one horizontal.

floor joist end, 2x10 on outermost with it resting on a 2x10 for support like a ledger on steroids.

Also i was looking at flooring options. I was thinking 1/2 plywood, but talking with people thought i best use 3/4 T&G Tongue and groove, but at a mighty cost. So wile we were getting lumber i see the 5/4 deck boards, there 16' and are pressure treated, and able to withstand the elements. and it will cost less/same (about a dollar difference in total) per sq ft then properly sized plywood. I figured this is a once in a lifetime build for THIS project so just do it right.

Another truck load of material

Floor Joist are in place and ready for the flooring

Starting the first board

its 20" so we used a 16' and a 4" piece alternating ends on the 4' piece

Got over 3/4 of the decking down but forgot to get a pic of it so will up date again later.

I have just found this thread and love the start of this coop. What happened to the rest of the build? Where's the rest of the pictures and updates? I need to know how this all turned out...

Back
Top Bottom