My neighbor’s dog is tearing my coop apart.

My daughter has autistic children in her home. I love how you are working with your neighbor!

Premeir1 carries a poultry netting that will discourage the dog. The dog, the geese and the child will learn with one zap to stay away from the fence.

Sorry to hear of all your problems, and how much you and your neighbor are trying to work things out. The sad news is that it might be "bye bye chicks" because once a dog gets the taste of raw chickens, they will not stop!

I agree that it is the owners responsibility to train the dog. It doesn't sound like they are doing any training to work with the issue. Just locking the dog away will not change the behavior.

It sounds like the dog needs some training - and not just for your chickens. She probably needs more exercise and they need to play games with her to challenge her in problem solving. If she has learned to destroy whatever is in her way to get to what she wants, then they may start having other problems with her.

Can you put the dog on leash and work with her around your chickens? work on getting her to ignore them as you walk past the coop and run. Start far away and gradually move closer as she gets better at ignoring them. Treats, her favorite toy, whatever will keep her attention off the birds if you need to. If she focuses on the birds - snap the leash, say "NO" and turn and walk away.
Oh my. Good fences make good neighbors. Although that suggestion is what Jesus would want us to do....

It looks like I'm going to learn how to install an electric fence!

I think i already know the answer but is there any way that my hens will ever be free range again or is the dog going to kill them for the rest of her life?

my neighbors agree that an electric fence is the way to go. they are going to pay half and help me set it up ^_^. they're so nice
Awesome! You can do it really inexpensively.

And added bonus, you won't have to worry about predators.

It doesn't have to be a heavy duty fence with electric. I have welded wire with 2 strands. You can put up an area as large as you would like...with the welded wire and fiberglass (look like arrows without the feathers) Then use the chain link connectors. They clip right onto the welded wire. You can anchor them if you feel you need to with a zip tie or something equally ingenious.

Get the cheap charger! I promise it is fine. If it needs to be outside, you could put in inside the coop...? I have 5 to 7k volts and I have it jumped and linked to 3 pens, going through one insulated by plastic container lids and clothespins. Ha!

ETA - if you go light...(not a heavy wooden monstrosity...you can move it every now and then...for fresh bugs and grass

Edited again to add...if you need help figuring gates. I can help, but I'm sure you can figure it out, or others here have much more experience.

You will sleep so well...

Last edited:
Premier1supplies.com is a great source of good products and good information. They have good people on the phone too. If your neighbor's dog runs through their invisible fence, he might be harder to convince with a very weak fence charger too. Also, do whatever it takes to beef up your coop and run, because the neighbor's dog isn't the only critter out there who likes chicken! It's impossible to overbuild, IMO.

It's not finished or stained, and 'pretty' isn't how I'd describe it, but should be very safe. Mary

You could try spraying the places she rips with her mouth with bitter yuck. One taste of that would stop her from chewing her way in.

Back
Top Bottom