My neighbor’s dog is tearing my coop apart.

Some times my geese go around the chicken coop, will an electric fence hurt my Chinese white geese?

Look into getting an electric fence from petsafe. They make one that is a shock collar for the dog. There isnt any wire. They just get shocked if they get too far away from the base which is a box in the house. 1/2 acre range.

Thats the one that she runs through. she runs as fast as she can out of range of the box. she doesn't care that it zaps her.

I agree, electric fence, get it at the farm store, don't need a big one, that dog will learn pretty quick, keep it low, couple of strands, plug in, invite dog over, get ready to cringe at the yelping, it will work, other option get a shock collar for the dog. Dog isn't going to stop any other way. Geese will learn to stay away from the fence. I have been shocked many times by electric fence, not pleasant but won't kill you.

Last edited:
It looks like I'm going to learn how to install an electric fence!

I think i already know the answer but is there any way that my hens will ever be free range again or is the dog going to kill them for the rest of her life?

my neighbors agree that an electric fence is the way to go. they are going to pay half and help me set it up ^_^. they're so nice

If you buy electric net fencing from a company named Premeir 1, they will be able to range your yard. This fencing is very effective and the customer service is great! It will be more expensive than just a few wires though.

yeah that's what i thought the answer would be. the funny think is, she never tries for my geese. i have 2 adult and 4 little yellow Chinese white geese that wander my yard and she doesn't even look at them. i've even found them in the kiddie pool together with gizmo. its just the chickens that she wants.

I have to say, I admire how you are handling this with your neighbors. A lot of people get bent out of shape over stuff like this. I think it's great that your primary concern (other than saving your chickie babies) is the young girl. Your neighbors are very lucky to have someone like you next door!

Back
Top Bottom