my new breeding pens (progress pics)

We added rooster pens to the coop. I didn't realize when planning our chicken castle that I would need small individual cages for roosters not being used, single matings, hurt birds, chicks, etc. It comes in handy to have some small pens ready for those unforeseen things.
Took us two months to make these. lol... didn't have a lot of time so had to grab a minute here and there to work on them.

AHH I just read this whole entire thread... call me crazy! LOL I absolutly LOVEE this whole thing.. I totally envy you! Haha.. Makes me sad that I can't have more chickens.. (Only have 2) :( Anyways, I wish you good luck and once again, I LOVE this!!

AHH I just read this whole entire thread... call me crazy! LOL I absolutly LOVEE this whole thing.. I totally envy you! Haha.. Makes me sad that I can't have more chickens.. (Only have 2) :( Anyways, I wish you good luck and once again, I LOVE this!!
Thank you!
2 chickens?!?!?! Well that is not nearly enough. lol!

droolin.gif
I THINK I'M IN LOVE WITH YOUR PENS!!!
droolin.gif

No, seriously! One of the best I've seen so far. I see your feeders are the little galvanized rabbit/guinea pig feeders? Do they work well or do your birds bill out a lot of their food? I"m also curious about your water bottles. I couldn't expand the picture large enough, and my glasses aren't strong enough to see what you did there. Could you describe it to me?

I keep telling DH I need a small separate pen or pens for sick, time out, mother with chicks, etc. This on a smaller scale would be perfect.

And if he won't build it for me, he'll come home from work one day to find I've done it myself.
wink.png

Thanks!!
Each pen is 2 x 3 floor space. They are 3 feet tall in the back and slope down to 2 1/2 in the front. I just did that for rain runoff and shade for the birds. There is a 2"x2" roost in each pen. The metal feeders work great. No spilling at all. The waterers are not perfect. I bought the little bottom plastic things with a spring that holds the water bottle to the pen. They work better than putting a water container inside the cage cuz they just fill up the tray with pine shavings. I did not plan ahead and realized after I installed the doors that the water bottle would block the door. So I attached the water bottles to the actual doors. I think I will remove the little hinge things from the top of the door and put them on the sides so that I can open the doors without dumping out the water bottles.
barnie.gif

But over all I am very happy with these pens. I thought of making the pens 4 feet deep but realized that I would have a hard time reaching in to grab a bird so went with 3 feet deep instead. The floor space is only 5 square feet but I don't intend for these pens to be permanent living quarters so hopefully it is ok.

Awesome job by you and your DH.
droolin.gif
I started reading your thread from the first to the last and was intrigued by the dedication you put into building your pens
caf.gif
. Great detail and you took your time and did it right.
clap.gif
. Would you explain the cut out milk jug portion of your thread again Please? My coop and run are still under development. I am using an old barn type shed.

Aloha
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom