My new chicks and new property thread!

What's the deal with my 7 week old chocolate Orpington that isn't even close tofeathered out?! What do you say about sexing this one? I'm guessing cockerel but this one has me so confused!

You can't feather sex orps. I did notice with mine that the tails were a clear indicator of cockerel or pullet very early on, but I'm not sure if that translates to all orps or just the line I got.
Usually all orps :D I actually look for the tails in ALL orpingtons even American! And I've actually been taught to sex them for their wings not fr growth but from gaps in the feathers! :) I will post a pic when I get some chicks! :D

Help me determine gender on these chicks! Thanks in advance!
Chick one:

Chick two:

Chick three:

Chick four:

any help determining gender is much appreciated!
@McCoyPoultry
Here are some close ups of the partridge... maybe you have a guess on gender?

First one looks like a roo the rest look like pullets.

I've got a progression of my splash boy here (1 week to 7 months):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-keeping-on-the-left-coast-aka-chooksworth/30

There's another good one (blue orp) here (newly hatched to 11 months):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/386051/the-imported-english-orpington-thread/13510

My best guess is that chocolate chick is a cockerel but it will become pretty obvious in another week or two.

That's very helpful. Thanks! My chocolates are still fooling me. only one looks like a cockrel when I consider their combs and two look like cockrels when I look at wattles but two look like pullets when I look at tails. I'm so confused lol I think this is one case where I won't know until I hear them crow lol

I found a local npip breeder who is offering grown trios and quads of English orpingtons. I need help deciding what to buy, he has three of the colors I really want and is only 30 min drive from us!

3 (1 roo 2 hens) buff deleware fancy chick line

3 Isabel (1 roo 2 hens) ewe crazy/fancy chick

4 BBS (1 roo 3 hens) Sacre/fancy chick

I only have room for one more breeding pen and I can't decide! I love all of these varities! Help!

Last edited:
I found a local npip breeder who is offering grown trios and quads of English orpingtons. I need help deciding what to buy, he has three of the colors I really want and is only 30 min drive from us!

3 (1 roo 2 hens) buff deleware fancy chick line

3 Isabel (1 roo 2 hens) ewe crazy/fancy chick

4 BBS (1 roo 3 hens) Sacre/fancy chick

I only have room for one more breeding pen and I can't decide! I love all of these varities! Help!
Get the Isabel or Delaware! BBS is more common color.

Back
Top Bottom