My new Ducklings won't eat, drink, or play in their little bath. Help?

Joseiscool18

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2017
So, I bought two ducklings at Tractor supply yesterday, and ever since I put them in their new home, they haven't eaten their food or drunk any of their water. They haven't used their bath either. Is something wrong or are they still adjusting to their new home?

Whats the temp in your brooder? Maybe they are too cold or too hot. By the time they are sold at tractpr supply they are already 3 days old. And ready to eat and drink for sure

How far is the food from the water? They need water to swallow feed, and the food and water needs to be far enough from the heat lamp that it doesn't get warmed. Just like with chicks, they need a warm zone and a cool zone. And ducklings don't need the brooder to be quite as warm as chicks do.

This is my overall view of their home. The bow on the bottom left is their wet feed and the bowl in the middle is their bath. It isn't much, but I'm hoping it holds up until I can get something better.
Okay. You need heat on one side only, not in the middle. Food and water go on the other side, as far from the heat as possible. And the brooder needs to be big enough for the heat to dissipate completely at the cool end.

@Miss Lydia
I have always used red bulbs never white because they can throw off sleep patterns.Who can sleep with a bright light in your eyes? as for feed I have never used medicated but I have heard even @casportpony mention that feed with amprolium is okay to feed to water fowl. if you can get it with out that to me is better.

Last edited:
Hello! Just thought I'd throw in two cents. I'm using the same exact food you are with my ducklings
smile.png
They like it fine, so I don't think your feed is the problem. Hope I helped eliminate one problem! Good luck to you and your little ones

Quote: The "no medicated feed for ducklings" is an old wives tales that originated back in the day when different drugs were used, and those drugs were toxic to waterfowl. Modern medicated starters usually contain amprolium and/or bacitracin, and both of those are okay for ducklings.

What kind of feed?....What type of waterer And feeder?.....Are you wetting the feed?...Also Ducklings do better if you peep and quack to them using your fingers to teach them to eat and Drink...A soupy mix is easier for them...

Best wishes...:)

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom