My new quail babies!

CrazyCatNChickenLady

Songster
10 Years
Jan 23, 2010
Berry Creek, Ca
7 little ones hatched lastnight. I just happened to be out when the first one hatched and got a text from dbf with a pic. Got home in time to see 3, 4, 5 and 6 hatch They're soo cute! I went from chickens, to many many chickens, then a few ducks, and now quail!

IMG_3447.jpg

1-6
IMG_3454.jpg

#7 off on his own passed out!
IMG_3452.jpg

IMG_3458-1-1.jpg

I woke up to 2 more babies! One has splay leg though. I put a little bandaid on his legs and he's doing really well. Tried a shot glass at first but he's too little! I have paper towels on the bottom of the incubator and after the first group hatched it became less textured I guess.. Will not use paper towels in the incuabator again!

Little splay legged in the front. Doing pretty good with the leg braces!
47583_img_3465.jpg

I used to use paper towels but after I had several chicken chicks over the few hatches have splay leg I switched to cheese cloth, it has more of a "grip" on their little claws.

I most recently started using cheapo "rubberized shelf liner" its $1.50 for a roll so I use a piece and throw it out after the hatch to use a fresh piece on every hatch. I dont remember how long the roll is but I have cut 4 pieces of it for hatching and still have more than half the roll so I figure I could get 8+ hatches out of a $1.50 roll of it.

Yea, more fuzzy butts
jumpy.gif
! Congrats! How many more are you expecting?

I use equine pine pellets for bedding in the brooders and they seem to do really well on that. I believe that it easier to clean too....it breaks down very nicely and go into the compost pile.

Back
Top Bottom