my new rooster has something on his legs

orangeredhead

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 5, 2014
I got a new rooster from a neighbouring farmer today a noticed white crust all over his legs. At first I thought it was just feathers but I have washed him and it is actually his skin. It feels almost like a wart-type of rubbery skin. Any ideas what it could be?

Last edited:
He has scaly leg mites. Do an on site search by typing 'scaly leg mites' in the search bar and several threads about treatment will appear.

Thank you for the diagnosis, I haven't ever seen scaly leg mites in person. Yes, he is a white Silkie rooster. I have him separated from the flock for a quarantine period, thank goodness! The rest of my birds are very healthy, no mites or lice or anything.

I'm just an amature, but when I got mine they had them bad so I warmed a little solid coconut oil until it was liquid, dipped them in the held them in the air until it rehardened. I figured it would last longer. I also put a drop of tea tree oil in it in case there was any infection starting. I just set the whole tin on my burner element on low to warm, then made sure I could hold my finger in it without getting burned before dipping it's legs.

Ps. I found it easier to catch them at night with a little headlamp flashlight. I looked like a lunatic but it was so easy.

Thank you all for the great advice. So it has been five days an I have bathed him twice, and applied Vick's vaporub every other day (that's what I had on hand). I have noticed a big improvement in his skin and the big deposits of white crust have started to slough off. Yay! So I will keep an eye on the legs and if it doesn't go away completely this way I will get some medicine from th feed store. In the mean time he is still separated from the rest of the flock but is eager to mix and mingle. I didn't see anything that said how long after the legs look better that the mites are truly gone. What has your experience with that been?

Back
Top Bottom