My (not what I thought it would be) Journey With Chickens

As promised, some pictures!! ( a ton of pics)

This is a side view of the coop, the tarp is over it for a 'roof', don't worry it is secured!

This one is blurry, but it is the left side in the coop, left-right: waterer, feeder, feeder, heatlamp and feeder. Some of the feeders only hold a bit of food, not a ton, that is the reason for so many!

This is the back of the coop, backside. You can see the two roosts.

Right side of the coop, complete with milk jug feeder!

Front of the coop, the screen comes down at night, and the tarp goes down at night.
I know it's a bit scraggly looking, but it'll work, it is a makeshift coop!

Another side view

The chick bike shop! LOL, JJ! Top to bottom: Buff Orp, EE-Maybeline, Buff Orp-look's like one of my roos and a buff orp. The buff orps have names, just hard to tell them apart in this pic!

Me and Bitsy taking selfies! :p

Bitsy 'she's weirder then I though' Me: Bitsy! Make a face! LOL

A group of Buff's! Bitsy is the one looking at the tarp!

Finally! A feeder that we can fit 4 heads in at once!

Bitsy is eating out of the feeder, and the rest promptly showed their tails. (lol, I love captioning!)

Now, I think I'm changing into a Rooster, my big bros said to strut! (her comb has gotten darker and she has wattles! I thought she was a pullet before, pics below to help identify her gender!)

Big Bros said to run from the crazy girl with the camera!

Do you see the chicken?

Look! I'm strutting! I'm strutting!

I think I lost her!

A group in the coop! (left side: from top to bottom, BO, BO,EE (Hedwig) and EE (Maybeline) :) and right, BO

Hmm... maybe I should practice climbing!

She caught me, and now she's taking selfies with me! NO wonder big bros warned me!

Okay, pullet or roo (7 weeks and 3 days)

Taking naps

The roo you see in the pictures is Bud, and he is for sale btw, if anyone in VA happens to read this!

The roo behind the roosts is bud, the other is mine, buddy.

Bud getting his king rest (He is top, little Bitsy, who for some reason is the smae age but half the size of the others, he likes to grab her neck, and I was trying to grab him to get pictures, and then he grabbed BItsy, and I grabbed him by the neck (this was not to protect Bitsy, it was instinct because I was trying to catch him, lol) and he squaked and ran away and I was like, 'well, Bitsy, look who got grabbed on the neck for a change!!' Now i am dieing of laughter!!

That's all! Thanks for reading!

Well, I got the coop most of the way done today, I am going to try and make a better roof and siding tomorrow, right now I have a tarp over the top, like in the picture! I came out around 8 and almost all the chicks were in the coop, so I got 'em all in, then around 8:30 I put them on the roosts, they stayed for a while, then after I got finished helping my dad change the oil in our van, we got them water, and I put them back on the roosts, so I hope this 'training' process goes fast. They have hopped on and off the roosts a few times themselves though, but not really knowing to sleep on the roosts, because they aren't really used to it.

We'll see how they go through the night, I have a heat lamp in there for them.

Awesome. Can't wait to see it fully finished. We build a roof but use tarps for waterproofing (so much cheaper than alternatives :) )

Today I was at my 1 year old cousin's birthday party.. Soo I am going to try and work on the coop some before darkness falls, but the chicks are good.. Maybe going to a poultry swap tommorow..

The chickies needed some help finding their coop tonight. They were roosting on some plastic containers in the yard.. lol. I chased them away and was like 'you can't roost there!'
I let them get a bedtime drink and 'snack', then I put them on the roosts, and they stayed there, but they got onto 1 roost and lined up together. So sweet.
love.gif

I can't wait to get eggs! I know it is a while away, but I am soo looking forward to it!!

ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom